1949 Winchester Model 70

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
I have a 1949 Winchester model 70 that needs a new stock and some “TLC”. I’m debating on if I should just do a restore, or rebarrel and update it.

Thoughts............

If is has the Mauser 78 action and chrome-lined barrel and/or says "Belgium Fabrique" on it I'd keep it without hesitation. I have the 1950 J.C. Higgins 30:06 with the above-mentioned details and it is a phenomenal firearm that would cost more than 2 Gs to build these days. I have made some great shots with that rifle and regularly get offered much more than I paid for it to sell it. I put a Leupold Vx3 4.5 14x40mm Boone & Crockett optic on it and it is unstoppable.
Hope this helps.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu