#2 Down

Moe Terboat

Got number 2 on Sunday around 10:30am.

Not much of an intense story. I had anticipated the gobblers were roosting on the private property but to my surprise at 5am I heard gobbles coming from a different tree. I saw some guys across the street just showing up and parking their truck in the open so I was pretty sure the turkeys would not fly across the street into the open field as they did the day before. I decided to set up above the roost tree between the private property and where the turkeys were roosting. Fly down comes and I see three gobblers and 5 hens. They started working their way down the hill as if they were going to fly across the street to the open field to where the other hunters had set up. I decided not to call since there was 5 hens. As the turkeys walked towards the street away from me, the guys across the street started calling and the turkeys got spooked and turned and ran up the hill in my direction but turned off into the trees. I sat waiting for about an hour until the turkeys came back into the open and started walking around about 120 yards away from me. They where strutting around for a while until they decided to take a nap in the shade about 80 yards away from me. I had to sit with not moving for a hour behind a tree in the most uncomfortable position because the turkeys would have seen me if I moved at all.

After a hour the hens got up and starting walking away from me and the gobblers followed them. I watched as the hens went to the edge of a hill and continued to walk over it into the thick cover. Still no calling, just waiting to see what the gobblers would do. The three gobblers followed the hens to the hill and turned around at the tree line and started walking right at me. All three walked directly at me just feeding and had no idea I had them at the end of my barrel. I waited until they got about 20 yards, took my pick of which one I wanted and took him down.

The other two gobblers froze not knowing what just happened. They stuck around for a couple minutes and started to walk off. I waited until I couldn't see them and went to claim my prize! As I was picking up my gobbler I saw the other two gobblers behind me walking in towards me, not scared at all. They sat and watched me at about 30 yards in plan site for about 5 more minutes then turned and walked off.

All and all lucky day. Stayed patient never moved spots even know I almost did multiple times. Didn't call even know I wanted to multiple times. Hopefully I get one more day this season to get out and try to get the hat trick!

Attachments

• IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 18
Thats AWSOME, great job i didnt make it out scouting for any turkey this year im hoping the fall, ill have to have a spot either told to me or get some scouting in. maybe save for a guide? i dont know but im very jealous man

happy eats

Awesome job Moe. Way to make it happen. Thanks for the post and pictures!

Good job Cory, with all those eyes watching you I'm surprised you were able to text back and forth with me lol. Congrats!

Back