20G O/U for upland & trap?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Looking for some input from shotgunners on using a 20 gauge over/under to pull double duty as an upland gun and occasional trap/5-stand gun. I’m thinking of picking up an entry level model (CZ Upland Ultralight, Franchi Instinct, Stevens 555, etc.) as a lightweight field gun that I can use for dove, quail and rabbits, but also shoot at the range. I realize 20 gauge is somewhat silly as a trap gun, but I won’t be shooting competitions or anything. So my question is, am I better off going 12G in a lightweight gun despite the added recoil (knowing I can also load it down) or would a 20G actually be a fun alternative that wouldn’t be too bad for trap? For ducks and turkey I’ll still be using my 12G autoloader, so there’s no issue there… just thought it might be fun to have a light shooting 20G in my arsenal too. Thanks for the advice.

For years my wife shot a 20g for field and range. It wasn’t a competition gun but you already said just for fun. I know a lot of guys that shoot 20g for everything. I say go for it. The only difference is number of pellets. Not speed so it’s just the pattern that won’t be as dense. Let your aim be true and enjoy a lighter gun with slightly less recoil. I do however have one friend that swears 20s recoil way more the 12s and he will not shoot one. But hell if my little wife can shoot it anyone can.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
We have a Stevens 555 amd love it. Shoot mostly skeet with it. Haven't been able to get it into the field yet. I do wish it had ejectors sometimes like my Weatherby. But in the field extractors are better.

She does think the 555 in 20 kicks more than my Weatherby in 12. Personally I dont really notice it. And its not bad enough that she doesnt shoot it. I also have a Weatherby 20g autoloader.

If you ever head out to Chino, let me know. I'll bring them out you can try them if youd like.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu