223 Rem. Ammo

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Just signed up for cheaper than dirt. You predator hunters. Need suggestions for the above ammo. Middle of line or any recommendations. For AR 15.
SP or HP? Possibly Non Lead.
Thanks in Advance

1st, is the ar chambered in 5.56 or .223? You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 but not 5.56 in a .223.

Unless if its a .223 wylde then shoots both also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Xjon
My AR does rated for both. 5.56 or 223

My concern is as follows.
I wanted J HP non lead. For future use as well. How ever I had a concern with jamming. As of late mainly been using FMJ for target practice. But most ranges don't allow it. I guess for now I could with SP or BT Ammo.
What I need suggestions for ammo that knock down pig. But main use would be coyotes.

lead free barnes bullets its all ive used for years sine i live and hunt in the condor zone. I hunt coyotes with the 36G VG they drop dead. also works great on bob cats prairie dogs and jacks. 55G for yots and bobcats as well. 63G for pigs and deer under 100yards with a good shot. the lighter lead free ballistic tip bullets shoot much faster then lead and they expand very well.

I have many ARS and have never had a jam with HP or ballistic tips. Ive actually never had a jam at all in any of them. are your feed ramps cut correctly? bullets loaded to the correct length and Mags in good shape?

Ive never heard of a range not allowing FMJ unless it has steel in it. check with a Magnet.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
You pretty much cannot buy any upper that will not shoot both. 5:56 has a shorter neck than 2.23 which has a higher pressure value than .223 but you will have a hard time finding one upper that will not take the other and the pressure difference's it has is nil as far as modern firearm's are concerned I would not give it much thought unless you are building a specialized platform

You pretty much cannot buy any upper that will not shoot both. 5:56 has a shorter neck than 2.23 which has a higher pressure value than .223 but you will have a hard time finding one upper that will not take the other and the pressure difference's it has is nil as far as modern firearm's are concerned I would not give it much thought unless you are building a specialized platform
Hi SC
Thanks for Advise.

Has anyone had issues with JHP jacketed Hollow point non lead version

lead free barnes bullets its all ive used for years sine i live and hunt in the condor zone. I hunt coyotes with the 36G VG they drop dead. also works great on bob cats prairie dogs and jacks. 55G for yots and bobcats as well. 63G for pigs and deer under 100yards with a good shot. the lighter lead free ballistic tip bullets shoot much faster then lead and they expand very well.

I have many ARS and have never had a jam with HP or ballistic tips. Ive actually never had a jam at all in any of them. are your feed ramps cut correctly? bullets loaded to the correct length and Mags in good shape?

Ive never heard of a range not allowing FMJ unless it has steel in it. check with a Magnet.
Reread your post. Sorry got it no jams with HP or BT. I read to fast LOL doesn't sink in.

All mags are factory. As you can tell not an expert with AR'S. Mainly bolt action person. But I handle it very well. Mainly was for self defense. But want to use it for predator hunting. So up and up for 2019.

All mags are factory. As you can tell not an expert with AR'S. Mainly bolt action person. But I handle it very well. Mainly was for self defense. But want to use it for predator hunting. So up and up for 2019.

Can i make a suggestion to all. Please please please stop using FMJ for self defense. It is the wrong thing to use in a house or in a city or ANYPLACE really. FMJ is a creation of the Geneva convention. (please look it up as to why if you dont know) basically it does not do as much damage to a human. It is not something we should be using for self defense. it will not drop a perpetrator as fast as a hollow point. I will go through walls and doors and houses and kill innocent people across the street and next door. FMJ is great for practice at the range as well since its usually cheaper. IF you are talking about stock piling for a zombie apocalypse end of the world type thing and FMJ is more affordable in bulk then by all means but for a real true self defense round it is not what should be used. ask a police officer what is in his side arm. dont mean to hijack a thread just hoping to help save lives.

Can i make a suggestion to all. Please please please stop using FMJ for self defense. It is the wrong thing to use in a house or in a city or ANYPLACE really. FMJ is a creation of the Geneva convention. (please look it up as to why if you dont know) basically it does not do as much damage to a human. It is not something we should be using for self defense. it will not drop a perpetrator as fast as a hollow point. I will go through walls and doors and houses and kill innocent people across the street and next door. FMJ is great for practice at the range as well since its usually cheaper. IF you are talking about stock piling for a zombie apocalypse end of the world type thing and FMJ is more affordable in bulk then by all means but for a real true self defense round it is not what should be used. ask a police officer what is in his side arm. dont mean to hijack a thread just hoping to help save lives.
Hear loud and clear, except I live out in no mans land. And it's good to have these discussions. It is cheap ammo to practice with. Switching to HP and BT.

Last edited:
Edited:
OK now that we are passed the caveat of FMJ & should be an other post, I would like to return to original topic & get back to recommended factory ammo, for predator hunting.
please advise factory loads.. that do not jams, and if all agree with GPS statement and it's not an issue.

Last edited:
If factory loads are jamming then something wrong with rifle.
How does it jam? Failure to extract? Failure to feed?
Look at your bolt- dry? Dirty?

Edited:
OK now that we are passed the caveat of FMJ & should be an other post, I would like to return to original topic & get back to recommended factory ammo, for predator hunting.
please advise factory loads.. that do not jams, and if all agree with GPS statement and it's not an issue.
Lee,

Not to digress again, but how is it 'jamming' exactly? Is it failing to extract completely and/or double feeding?

Ok I guess I am not explaining it best as it could be.

Why I am asking is I ready to purchase ammo. I have anxiety that HP (Hollow Point ) will Jam in a Semi Auto Rifle.
I have a 22LR Marlin semi auto oldie Tube Mag. it does not like HP. It Jams. It only cycles RN .

Maybe I am over thinking this. Thinking I would or may have the same problem with a Semi Auto Rifle with Hollow Points. so I asking people here if their semi auto cycles HP and what do they recommend.
should my Semi Auto Rifle Cycle and eat HP Rounds with no problems.!!!!!!!!!!!
that is it.

Ok Ok!
Straight answer- you will/should have no issues with factory HP

9d243eebf759fed22e2469b7f9f3a84a.jpg
Barnes ive used. Blackhills im trying out.
As always buys a few boxes and test which one your rifle likes. As long as it groups, ill use it. Whether 1" or 5". Depending on grouping size determines target range.

Ok I guess I am not explaining it best as it could be.

Why I am asking is I ready to purchase ammo. I have anxiety that HP (Hollow Point ) will Jam in a Semi Auto Rifle.
I have a 22LR Marlin semi auto oldie Tube Mag. it does not like HP. It Jams. It only cycles RN .

Maybe I am over thinking this. Thinking I would or may have the same problem with a Semi Auto Rifle with Hollow Points. so I asking people here if their semi auto cycles HP and what do they recommend.
should my Semi Auto Rifle Cycle and eat HP Rounds with no problems.!!!!!!!!!!!
that is it.

Lee,

I also have a tube-fed 1960s Marlin 60 and they are known for being finnicky with certain ammo -- i.e., it eats CCI Mini-Mags the best, Remington Golden Bullets the worst, and lately has been eating the Winchester Varmint rounds okay. Any cycling issues I've experienced with ARs have not really been ammo related for me. For example, when I built my first one, my buffer spring was a bit too long/stiff (insert joke here) so it'd stovepipe and double feed constantly until I shortened it up. Thought it was a gas issue at first, but it turned out to be just the spring.

xjon, I use the Blackhills stuff and generally like it (I don't reload). I shoot the 77 gr SMK best (1:7 twist). Also have a few boxes of the 62 gr Hornady BTHP that I haven't tried out yet but should run fine.

Morning Fellas, so instead of jumping in and buying any old stuff. I have been doing research on what grain bullets would be be best for my equipment. looking at twist rate vs bullet gr.
here is an article I found on the 5.56 (223) vs barrel length and twist. so I am digging in the science of accurate target practice. I have 2 semi autos with twist rates of 1-9 & 1-10 based on those twist rates recommended bullet grains is 55-75 gr & 55-62.
interesting to understand that for heavier bullets the higher twist rate is required.

if that is the correct lingo to state. o yes these are short barrels (the author states in his article)
http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu