243 Winchester

BBH

Dec 25, 2014
Lakeside California

We have been loading 80 gr Barnes TTSX for my son-in-laws 243 Ruger American using Reloader 17 and getting velocities averaging just over 3000 fps. He wanted to get more velocity for the 80 gr TTSX so we decided to try the Hogdon Superformance. Here are the end results.

CAUTION: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. The writer assumes no liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Materials:

Winchester cases

Winchester Large Rifle Primers

Barnes 80 Gr TTSX

COL = 2.610

Hodgon/Hornady Superformance

Our loads are within the parameters published by Barnes, and can be found on their web site.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2016/03/243WinchesterV7ForWeb.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 12.21.33.png

Results:

We tried 5 different loads (See the graphics below) shot at 100 yds. The velocities were chrono-ed with a magnetospeed V3. For each powder weight we loaded 5 rds (each weighed separately on an electronic balance). The rds were 0.5 difference in gr. All 5 rds were shot as a group, not round-robin. The idea being , that since you have to be a contortionist to shoot at the range with you rifle in a sled balanced on a too-small table while sitting on several chairs stacked up so you could see through the scope, we would shoot 5 and throw out obvious outliers. That being said, our conclusions are based on the complete 5 rd groups, nothing thrown out. It wasn’t obvious to us that there were any outliers. We found that the tightest group (0.421 moa) was for 47.5 g Superformnce which gave an average of 3284 fps. None of the rds shot displayed any obvious signs of over pressure. This is a significant increase in velocity over what we saw with Reloader 17.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 12.24.59.png

Note that the sweet spot appears to be on a plateau in the load shown in gr vs fps plot. Suggests that there is more to learn in this region of the plot that might be revealed by loading at a 0.3 gr interval. However, we will probably load in volume on a progressive press where the powder loads can vary by ±0.2 gr. It is probably not worth the effort unless we were shooting bench rest. Never saw a deer on a bench, so not likely to do this.

243WIN_Graphic.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
BBH is my father inlaw the guy has a plethora of reloading knowledge and is incredibly thorough. Super excited to have him on the site his reloading knowledge will be great on here. Keep in mind that .4 MOA is coming out of a factory Ruger American. This experience has me convinced that when it comes to the entry level / budget rifles Ruger American is king. We had loads flying up near 3500fps with the Superformance but like most my experience the fast load was not the most accurate. My old RL17 round was accurate but no where near this accurate and this new load is 250fps faster. My main reason for trying the Superformance is I wanted velocity. I am now a huge fan. Only complaint would be man the stuff looks like a muzzleloader when my gun fires huge flash and a lot of smoke. I am in love with my 243 I just picked up a Tikka LH 260 yesterday and I can't wait to see how accurate me and BBH can get that thing.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Sounds like fun. I recently got a Remington 700 sps varmint I'm 243. I think I'm gonna use the TTSX as well. I love that bullet for my 30-06

I want to build a LH 700 in 243 something with a slow twist for 55g varmint grenades. It would be a varmint killing machine. 55 and 62g varmint grenades with Hodgkin Superformance get up around 4,000fps. Definitely gonna cook some barrels but they are not that expensive to replace on a 700. That would be a rad load. I stuck with the TTSX for this gun since my wife will be using it for deer. But I will build a VG specific 243 in the future. Plus VG are way cheaper than TTSX.

welcome to the site BBH!!!

Mine is a lefty. I wanted to get a 22-250 to shoot varmint grenades but going through barrels was why I decided against it. Still on my wish list though. Along with a hundred other guns.

Wow. Great first post. Welcome to the forum BBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Steve terms.....Wal-Mart .243 Federal Fusion, 95 grains, 2980 fps, 1 1/2" at 100yds.....Dead deer.....:dizzy:

ps......Drew.....J/K.....Always admire guys that reload.....Did a lot of shotgun stuff in my younger years.....:blush:

BBH, truduct, or anyone...Question of TSX vs TTSX
Have you used the TSX before? Have you done a side by side comparison with TTSX?
I dont shoot these bullets except prior to rifle season. I remember testing them out with an OCW load and I settled on the TSX, which ended my experience with the ttsx. I also tried hornadys GMX bullets alsp and those shot the worse.

Im just wondering if TTSX is that much better than the TSX and if I should give it another try. I figured you guys have had more shooting time with these bullets that you might have more info with it since my experience is very limited.
308 win

BBH, truduct, or anyone...Question of TSX vs TTSX
Have you used the TSX before? Have you done a side by side comparison with TTSX?
I dont shoot these bullets except prior to rifle season. I remember testing them out with an OCW load and I settled on the TSX, which ended my experience with the ttsx. I also tried hornadys GMX bullets alsp and those shot the worse.

Im just wondering if TTSX is that much better than the TSX and if I should give it another try. I figured you guys have had more shooting time with these bullets that you might have more info with it since my experience is very limited.
308 win

Have not experimented with the TSX. Have worked out OWC loads for TTSX in 308, 30-06, and 458 SOCOM. Very happy with the results. Tried to use TTSX for 300 Blackout, very accurate, but were not mushrooming. Found that Barnes makes TAC-TX specially for the 300 Blackout. Loaded a ladder set but have not shot yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu