3 weeks to go..............

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Till the new 2023-24 is required....Wabbit season openers.................... :heart:

Rifles & pellet guns of choice....:blush:

Rabbit Opener 2013 001.JPGRabbit Opener 2013 011.JPG043.JPGHenshaw rabbits 2022.JPGRabbit opener 2021 3.JPGIMG_8339.JPG

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 23
  • rabbit dinner 7-11-12 003.JPG
    rabbit dinner 7-11-12 003.JPG
    506.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    640.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Rabbit Opener 2013 011.JPG
    Rabbit Opener 2013 011.JPG
    870.7 KB · Views: 29
I'm looking forward to some rabbit, didn't have much luck but that may be in part to me going after them late in their season. Hopefully this year I'll be posting some pics!

Reactions: ilovesprig
I'm looking forward to some rabbit, didn't have much luck but that may be in part to me going after them late in their season. Hopefully this year I'll be posting some pics!

Where you trying to hunt them?....The deserts are lush, as is our backcountry....Lot harder to see, but I've already seen a lot of babies....Should be a banner year.

.IV rabbit '22 1.JPG

Where you trying to hunt them?....The deserts are lush, as is our backcountry....Lot harder to see, but I've already seen a lot of babies....Should be a banner year.

.View attachment 58763
I've been out to various parts of IV, McCain and French Valley WA. Haven't had much luck seeing anything to be honest.

But I'm pretty new to this, so I'll figure it out eventually. Statistically I'm bound to bump into one right? Haha

Surprised you haven't seen any in the IV, especially around alfalfa fields....Also, you may want to invest in a decent pellet gun....It's not considered a firearm in many jurisdictions....It can be used in some San Diego Co. properties and areas a rifle or shotgun would not be applicable.... :blush:

California Air Gun Hunting Regulations​

California allows air gun hunting for certain species. These species include:
• Coyote
• Jackrabbit
• Pigeons
• Quail
• Rabbit
• Squirrel
• Ground Squirrel
• Starlings
• Turkey (.177 caliber or larger)

Reactions: Bask
Surprised you haven't seen any in the IV, especially around alfalfa fields....Also, you may want to invest in a decent pellet gun....It's not considered a firearm in many jurisdictions....It can be used in some San Diego Co. properties and areas a rifle or shotgun would not be applicable.... :blush:

California Air Gun Hunting Regulations​

California allows air gun hunting for certain species. These species include:
• Coyote
• Jackrabbit
• Pigeons
• Quail
• Rabbit
• Squirrel
• Ground Squirrel
• Starlings
• Turkey (.177 caliber or larger)
Yeah in my infinite wisdom I did not go out near the the fields...looking at onx seems like there's a few spots where BLM nestles up to the farms with shrubs. I'll give that a check out.

I haven't looked much into air gun hunting, I'll do some research. Any particular brands you shy away from or lean towards? I think I see an umarex logo in one of your photos.

Yeah in my infinite wisdom I did not go out near the the fields...looking at onx seems like there's a few spots where BLM nestles up to the farms with shrubs. I'll give that a check out.

I haven't looked much into air gun hunting, I'll do some research. Any particular brands you shy away from or lean towards? I think I see an umarex logo in one of your photos.
Do a search on this forum, Look for Crossman999and Marly. He does a lot of pellet gun reviews. Might be out of your price range, but maybe not.

I must own at least 5 different pellet guns...Beeman GS 1000 (.22), Benjamin Trail NP Magnum (.22), Umarex Gauntlet (.25), RWS Diana (.22), and a Gamo Whisper (.177)...They've all killed rabbits, but at times, they seem to lose their accuracy...The RWS (German) is of good qualify, as is the Beeman (Belgium) for a break barrel gun.

My favorite is/was the Umarex PCP, but the air nozzle leaked and I would lose pressure...So, I set it aside till I fixed it...Can't tell you how nice it is not to have to break the barrel...I would get at least 20+ shots till I needed air...The draw back is the expense...The pump they provide is a PITA and the air bottles are really pricey.

I had picked up a Gamo NRA Special at an estate sale and ended up using it most of the season last year...A little light on velocity at 950 fps with such a small pellet...I learned quickly that close range head shots were a must...This year I'll be back to the Umarex...... ;)

Like what was mentioned earlier...Check with Crossman999....He's the expert......:blush:

rabbits 7-30-12 006.JPG

I must own at least 5 different pellet guns...Beeman GS 1000 (.22), Benjamin Trail NP Magnum (.22), Umarex Gauntlet (.25), RWS Diana (.22), and a Gamo Whisper (.177)...They've all killed rabbits, but at times, they seem to lose their accuracy...The RWS (German) is of good qualify, as is the Beeman (Belgium) for a break barrel gun.

My favorite is/was the Umarex PCP, but the air nozzle leaked and I would lose pressure...So, I set it aside till I fixed it...Can't tell you how nice it is not to have to break the barrel...I would get at least 20+ shots till I needed air...The draw back is the expense...The pump they provide is a PITA and the air bottles are really pricey.

I had picked up a Gamo NRA Special at an estate sale and ended up using it most of the season last year...A little light on velocity at 950 fps with such a small pellet...I learned quickly that close range head shots were a must...This year I'll be back to the Umarex...... ;)

Like what was mentioned earlier...Check with Crossman999....He's the expert......:blush:

View attachment 58773
Thanks I'll give it a look up and search for some posts by crossman. I think it may need to be something I hold out on and make due with the 22 or over under for a bit. Kinda reaching the cap of what I can spend on hunting considering I haven't had any results yet haha.

Would you mind (or anyone else following this) if I DM you screen shots of places I'm planning on going and just get your opinion if it makes sense to you as a decent place to check for rabbit? Not looking to jump your spots, just get an opinion of places i've e-researched.

Also I'm planning on being at the next nwtf meetup (it's on 6-27 right?) Can just show someone you on my phone as well.

Last edited:
Thanks I'll give it a look up and search for some posts by crossman. I think it may need to be something I hold out on and make due with the 22 or over under for a bit. Kinda reaching the cap of what I can spend on hunting considering I haven't had any results yet haha.

Would you mind (or anyone else following this) if I DM you screen shots of places I'm planning on going and just get your opinion if it makes sense to you as a decent place to check for rabbit? Not looking to jump your spots, just get an opinion of places i've e-researched.

Also I'm planning on being at the next nwtf meetup (it's on 6-27 right?) Can just show someone you on my phone as well.

Yep....The next NWTF monthly meeting is June 27th....The meeting starts at 6:30 pm at the Hamburger Factory in Poway....We all get there early for dinner and a general bull session...Look forward to meeting you.

Steve

Yesterday in the IV

IV rabbit '23.JPG

Yep....The next NWTF monthly meeting is June 27th....The meeting starts at 6:30 pm at the Hamburger Factory in Poway....We all get there early for dinner and a general bull session...Look forward to meeting you.

Steve

Yesterday in the IV

View attachment 58818
Sounds good, I've been to a couple in the past, but just joined nwtf officially, I'll be sure to show up a bit early and get to know everyone better.

Well I went out to a few spots yesterday morning. Started walking at 5:20am With no success, but improvement nonetheless. Found a a spot for quail and other spot for some dove. Hopefully they'll be there come season :)

I had a shot on a moving rabbit, but I hesitated for a second and it got away.

Over all things went better than my first couple hunts, so while I didn't get anything I'll mark it up as a success.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu