5th Annual Santa Ysabel Youth Mentored Turkey Hunt 2016

ilovesprig

Staff member
The drawing will be the 1st Saturday in March (5th) at the Ramona Senior Center......Pretty much the same as last year with the biggest difference this year is youth hunters can be 17 (per new state reg).....We will again have 20 spots......10 on Saturday & 10 on Sunday (And to be honest, I think Sunday is better than Saturday). Also, all participants must be members of NWTF for insurance purposes. You can join the day of the event.

DO NOT FORGET TO BRING YOUR CHILDS HUNTING LICENSE.

Here's the schedule of events:

9am — Gates Open and Registration commences

10:30am — Registration Closes

10:30am — Wild Turkey History/Hunting Tactics
“Wild Turkey Calling and Hunting Tips”
Hunter Safety/Hunt Rules

12 Noon — Hunt Drawing

Look forward to seeing you,

Steve

Attachments

• Youth hunt SYYTH 2014 #3.jpg
    Youth hunt SYYTH 2014 #3.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 57
  • syymth 2015 lll.PNG
    syymth 2015 lll.PNG
    539.7 KB · Views: 120
  • syymth site 8 2015.jpg
    syymth site 8 2015.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 116
  • turkey hunt 2015 009.JPG
    turkey hunt 2015 009.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
Here's the flyer for the youth mentored hunt.....PLEASE do not forget your child's hunting license....It happened again this year at the tune-up.

Also, if you're a member of NWTF already, bring your membership card or a magazine. This event is covered by NWTF and it's insurance policy.

I would like to give a shout out to our local chapter of SCI.....They cover the cost of the park rangers that are required.....Please support them.....Their banquet is the same day March 5th.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 40
Don't forget, the drawing is this Saturday........And do NOT forget your child's license......... ;)

Yesterday on the preserve..... ;D

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    643.9 KB · Views: 50
Really surprised on how small the turn-out was today.....20 spots for 34 kids.....Each drawn kid got a calling set and camo hats....Now if the weather & turkeys cooperate it should be a good hunt for all..... ;)

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    470.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    428.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 39
Hey thats my arm and leg behind the guy in plaid. Kind of embarrassed I could only remember 8 of 10 basic firearms rules, the boy only remembered 6. Downloaded em when we got home and started working on them again.

I was glad my boy got a hunt slot at site #7 for Sunday, the mentor seems cool. The low turn out seems too bad. How many kids were return hunters that got a slot? Maybe something weighted like if you a hunted last year you are in the second tier, after all new hunters had a slot, then drawing in the second tier. Seemed like a lot of girls got slots, but hey luck of the draw and its good to see them out in the field.

I forgot to ask, but is Santa Ysabel, non toxic? Going patterning tomorrow, with the boy, I have lead and steel 5s and 4s.

Oh yeah my wife would like to thank the makers and the givers of the turkey calling pack, there were quickly banished to outside and garage.

Thanks to every one there, I am sorry I didnt introduce myself I had a bit of a late night at work and raging headache.

KS,

Your mentor is Chase Sessions and he's an outstanding turkey hunter...He's also a fine young man that I've been taking since he was very young....He was just hired by the Valley Center Fire Dept....Fireman/paramedic.

Lead shot is allowed on county property....Next year it will not be allowed state wide for turkeys.

We have publicized the heck out of this event and have never had over 40 kids....Just a lot going on this time of year apparently. Especially for kids that do youth sports....One kid I know missed out because of SAT's.

It's been discussed about kids that have already been hunted before. Of the kids I know that were drawn, only one had been drawn previously. I know of at least 3 that had hunted before and weren't drawn today.

Steve

ps....Don't worry about the 10 commandments of gun safety....I couldn't think of one.... ;)

Great event thanks Steve for doing all you do!

It's a fair draw you can't exclude kids that got lucky and drew last year most didn't get a bird it's part of life some you win some you lose......I wish I won the lotto.....it's all about how you grow from the loss.

If you didn't draw that's the time to ask the experts on where to go. Lots live to help the youth some have private prop. Some know where the birds are on public land the youth has the first weekend all to themselves and we want all of them to draw and kill a bird.

MJB said:
Great event thanks Steve for doing all you do!

It's a fair draw you can't exclude kids that got lucky and drew last year most didn't get a bird it's part of life some you win some you lose......I wish I won the lotto.....it's all about how you grow from the loss.

If you didn't draw that's the time to ask the experts on where to go. Lots live to help the youth some have private prop. Some know where the birds are on public land the youth has the first weekend all to themselves and we want all of them to draw and kill a bird.

Exactly...Great event for the kids, Thanks to Steve and all involved..

My 2 grandkids were so excited for this event and were really bummed that they didn't get picked but i was really proud of their reactions, (oh well try again next year and Grandpa we need to scout harder...lol)

Scouted again yesterday and came across 2 Mountain lions , one crossed Eagle Peak rd at Magee as we were driving thru, and ran across another as we were hiking in descanso......Be carefull out there and keep your little ones close...

if anyone is willing could use a little help for the kids opener

Back