A little scouting after the tune up

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
First time at the tune up. I missed last year due to other commitments and I was blessed to win a hunt! So thanks to all that made it a great event. So after the paper work and payment was done we went to our CNF spot to do some scouting. Walked in about 2 1/2 miles and did not see a lot of sign. My buddy almost jumped out of his skin when I stopped due to a alligator lizard in my path. Saw a bunch of turkeys on the private. Those are mostly bearded hens! Don’t shoot me signs were given to them and they went on their way! Slept like a rock last night after our 5 miles and did not feel like it killed me. it was great to get out there and enjoy the outdoors.
575a0fac1beeeb51853acfdb29f54982.jpged24243ddda7f24ea481b9da2f33fd05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
Nice Matt.....I need to start doing some of those walks too.....Got drawn for the San Carlos Indian Res turkey hunt in Arizona.....Hunting Merriams isn't like hunting MCC.....lol

Reactions: msailor and TRICER
That’s great Steve I need to get back in shape but then again round is a shape!! we are going scout the lake next time. Good luck on your hunt

Matt.....What area did you end up getting?

We took browns cove for the opener. I have to work the next weekend and we could not do any Wednesdays so we wanted to get out before the turkeys get educated. Any advice?

Congratulations on getting drawn in the lottery. Super jealous! I got skunked yesterday. Good luck on the opener and I hope you see some turkey on your scouting missions. I think we’d love to hear your hunt report too. Congrats msailor!

Reactions: msailor
Congratulations on getting drawn in the lottery. Super jealous! I got skunked yesterday. Good luck on the opener and I hope you see some turkey on your scouting missions. I think we’d love to hear your hunt report too. Congrats msailor!

Thanks Brandon will keep you informed!

Matt.....Haven't seen Brown's Cove in years.....I know last year guys came close and the birds came from the Mc Caw Ranch & The Corral side.....I'd be taking a walk or fishing up Santa Ysabel Arm, if I were you.....;)

Thanks Steve you are always a wealth of knowledge! We will check out that area on our next scouting trip and let you know how it goes.

Merriams are a type of Turkey and MCC is my country club it is 50k acres of private hunting land up by lake Henshaw. You can find them online and join the club to gain access to the land. Relatively affordable around $2500 a year I believe.

Reactions: msailor
Merriams are a type of Turkey and MCC is my country club it is 50k acres of private hunting land up by lake Henshaw. You can find them online and join the club to gain access to the land. Relatively affordable around $2500 a year I believe.

Thanks I have been thinking about joining the club. I spend that much on gas these days!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu