After you get a deer down ??

Ajsnack

Have yet to tag a deer but I plan on trying hard. With this being my first year hunting in California. What do you have to do after you tag a deer? I will be hunting D16. I know the tag has to be countersigned, are there check stations to take them to. 30 days to report them and that is just on the dfg website. So my real question is are there designated check stations or just take them to a ranger station?

Any government official can sign it. Examples would be fireman, police, forestry Ranger etc. BTW: they can't refuse. I had a fireman tell me no and after I nicely explained to him it is part of his service to the community - he signed off. Most folks just don't know or have never been approached

On the last page of the DFG Big Game book there is a Detailed list of who can counter sign. For example : It’s not every Fireman, they need to be a Foreman or above, or something like that. Check it out. It was very helpful to me this year. I took the book along with me to get it signed.

Persons Authorized to Validate or Countersign Deer and Elk Tags
(T14-708.6(c))*
STATE
1. Fish and Game Commissioners
2. Employees of the Department of Fish and Game, including Certified Hunter Education Instructors
3. Employees of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
4. Supervising Plant Quarantine Inspectors
5. Junior, Intermediate and Senior Plant Quarantine Inspectors
FEDERAL
1. Employees of the Bureau of Land Management
2. Employees of the United States Forest Service
3. Employees of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service
4. All Uniformed Personnel of the National Park Service
5. Commanding Officers of any United States military installation or their designated personnel for deer taken on their reservation.
6. Postmasters & Post Office Station or Branch Manager for deer brought to their post office.
MISCELLANEOUS
1. County firemen at and above the class of foreman for deer brought into their station.
2. Judges or Justices of all state and United States courts.
3. Notaries Public
4. Peace Officers (salaried & non-salaried)
5. Officers authorized to administer oaths
6. Owners, corporate officers, managers or operators of lockers or cold storage plants for deer brought to their place of business.
* No person may validate or countersign his/her own deer tag or tag. T14-708.6(b).

Ajsnack said:
Thanks for the information! Exactly what I was looking for.

Try and flag down a local police officer and have them do it. Its entertaining to see their expression when they see what they've been asked to do.

3. Notaries Public or aka know as my wife. Think that legal?

I usually just head to a fire station or the ranger stations. Most know what you want went you step out of the truck.

No person may validate or countersign his/her own deer tag or tag.

Yes if your wife is a Notary she can sign off your tag. There is nothing legal or illegal about anything regarding sign off. The fact that she is a notary makes it a valid signature for validation or countersigning.

You're good dude!

Have yet to tag a deer but I plan on trying hard. With this being my first year hunting in California. What do you have to do after you tag a deer? I will be hunting D16. I know the tag has to be countersigned, are there check stations to take them to. 30 days to report them and that is just on the dfg website. So my real question is are there designated check stations or just take them to a ranger station?

I usually head for a fire station as soon as the deer is loaded. You want to have it validated as soon as possible.
You have 30 days to send the harvest report in.

Back