Another newb

damstar

Oct 21, 2014
Hello everyone! I am looking to get started in hunting within the next year after the proper classes and licensing of course ;). I used to hunt whitetail on Thanksgiving breaks with my late grandfather in Mississippi when I was a kid. Being a SoCal native hunting seemed out of reach so I settled for fishing (salt, fresh, and on the fly) but I have done a little homework and found that there are plenty of opportunities in CA for the dedicated hunter. I found this site through googling different resources. I have to say I really like the vibe and the way you guys make newbies feel. I think its important for experienced sportsman to share their knowledge and ethics to beginners to preserve fishing and hunting in the right way. I look forward to reading your posts and learning as much as I can.

Thanks

D

Welcome to the SCH website and forum. Thanks for signing up!

ok well step one is done. I completed hunter education today.so I guess now its just time to read as much as I can study maps practice shooting and wait lol.

congrats on completing the course. have you figured out what game you'll start with?

I would like to start with deer and maybe hogs. Upland birds are definitely on the list as well. Really I see this as beginning a long journey. The more I put into it the more I will get out of it. I read someone's reply to another post on here that said something like "You have to burn some gas and wear out some boot soles to be rewarded"

damstar said:
I would like to start with deer and maybe hogs. Upland birds are definitely on the list as well. Really I see this as beginning a long journey. The more I put into it the more I will get out of it. I read someone's reply to another post on here that said something like "You have to burn some gas and wear out some boot soles to be rewarded"

Yep.......Scouting is the key....... The more I scout, the luckier I seem to get.....Anybody can pull the trigger....... ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu