Anybody shooting 300RUM?

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
I'm thinking about pulling out the 300RUM and getting it dialed in.......

I haven't shot it in over 10yrs and can't remember how bad the recoil was back then. I will never put a muzzle brake on it so what's available to reduce recoil besides a butt pad which it has. It's a Mod 70 action 40lbs of recoil is just crazy

If your willing to do a little modification to the stock, you can get a GraCoil Rifle Compression Plate. I'm putting one on my 300win mag once the stock comes in.

Once you shoot it your memory will be jarred! In fact so will you fillings, shoulder, cheekbone and everything else. :cold_sweat:

I once hated on muzzle brakes...until I shot a rifle with one. Now I am not sure I would build or buy a rifle without one.

The GraCoil plate is interesting (and ugly), mercury tubes might help, adding weight to the stock might help but none of the solutions are as efficient as a baffle style brake.

With the brake out of the question, I think you may have a recoil conundrum.

On a serious note Mark, what is the rifle configuration? The model 70 action is heavy - what is the barrel profile and stock?

I'll have to pull it out, I bought it years ago for $200 with 2 box through it. The guy took great care of it and hated to sell it.

If I remember right it's the cheap Shadow model with an upgraded Simmons scope which I would guess the recoil is why. It shoots great but it's a cheap gun so I want to upgrade the stock and absorb more recoil at the same time.

When I shot it last it wasn't bad on the recoil but it was loud. The side blast & volume is my problem with the breaks for hunting. Plus at the range I'm already a pita with this round.

Nick, I've seen a few of those on fancy trap guns. I just don't think it would work bush wacking.

I've got a model seven stainless synthetic in 308 Rifle short with a 3x9 leupold compact on it. Great little gun. Ballistics are about the same as the .300 win mag. I've killed deer out to 400yds and black bear at 80 and 175 yds.Elk at 150 yds. Everything I've ever shot with this gun never went more than 20 yds.Might have been my expert marksmanship..
..003.gif but I doubt it.

Last edited:
I’m pretty darn recoil sensitive and even the thought of a 300RUM makes me flinch. Proper stock fit can do wonders for recoil management though. Investigate a McMillian Hunter drop in stock for the rifle. I’ve put a few of them on standard rifles and they help the recoil and both have made the rifles more accurate. Secondly, you could put a gracoil mercury recoil reducer in the stock. They help shift the initial hit forward during recoil. I’m not a fan of muzzle breaks, I have too much hearing loss already.

My own experience with a Browning XBolt 300WSM was to sell the too-light gun. It was 6.5 pounds and it made me flinch. I then got a 8.5 pound Weatherby Vanguard Accugaurd in 300 WIN. With 165 grain loads the extra weight helps reduce the kick to .30-06 level and it’s about the most accurate gun I’ve ever experienced. Weight helps.

Mainly though I stick to standard calibers...

I’m not a fan of muzzle breaks, I have too much hearing loss already

The muzzle brakes aren't any louder than a standard barrel to the person behind the rifle. It is the folks on either side of you that will suffer.

Once you shoot a brake, there is no turning back.

Reactions: Gspman
The muzzle brakes aren't any louder than a standard barrel to the person behind the rifle. It is the folks on either side of you that will suffer.

Once you shoot a brake, there is no turning back.

My hearing loss would disagree with you. Shoot a lot of rounds without hearing protection, and you are going to know it.

My hearing loss would disagree with you. Shoot a lot of rounds without hearing protection, and you are going to know it.

Missing my point. Yes shooting anything without hearing protection is detrimental. My point was, the report when behind a gun with a brake is negligible when compared to a gun without. Both are loud. The noise is deflected to the side on a gun with a brake where others are more exposed.

Reactions: Gspman
Missing my point. Yes shooting anything without hearing protection is detrimental. My point was, the report when behind a gun with a brake is negligible when compared to a gun without. Both are loud. The noise is deflected to the side on a gun with a brake where others are more exposed.

Are you sure on this for all brakes? From my experience, the more effective the brake is for recoil management the louder the brake will be for the shooter. Pushing gas to the sides helps recoil, but the the better brakes try to angle that gas rearwards to counteract as much recoil as possible. Buddies guns with brakes are much louder no matter where you stand.

Are you sure on this for all brakes? From my experience, the more effective the brake is for recoil management the louder the brake will be for the shooter. Pushing gas to the sides helps recoil, but the the better brakes try to angle that gas rearwards to counteract as much recoil as possible. Buddies guns with brakes are much louder no matter where you stand.

You are right about some of the brakes on the market. But the good brakes "angle" the gas rearward, not straight back at the shooter.

Brakes are rated several ways. This is in order of importance from a PRS polling done by the top 50 shooters:

How well they reduce muzzle rise (most important to most shooters) or stay on target
Recoil reduction
Ground signature
Loudness

A good read for folks who want to learn more about brakes -

Click here - READ THIS ARTICLE

You are right about some of the brakes on the market. But the good brakes "angle" the gas rearward, not straight back at the shooter.
A good read for folks who want to learn more about brakes -
Click here - READ THIS ARTICLE
Great read indeed. I love these articles. I didn't read thoroughly since limited time but from my scanning I got this quote from it:
"When we measured the sound level from the side, there was only a difference of less than 2 dB from the quietest brake to the loudest. But from behind the rifle, that range jumped to 9 dB! That means from behind the rifle, there were some brakes that sounded about twice as loud as other muzzle brakes."

I have the thunder beast mounted to my .308 bull pup. Made a video showing difference between no brake/ brake installed.

I’ve been shooting a rem 700 300 saum for the last few months... its the titanium model with the ported barrel (pretty sure its the same idea as a muzzle break) the weird thing is I expected way more recoil! I hunt with a 7mag with no break and I’m not noticing that huge of a difference. Like NBK said, its not any more loud unless I’m at the indoor range in which case the sound bounces but that hold true with all my rifles. Just warn your hunting partners to get behind you

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu