AO tag

G

Goyaałé

Well general season is almost here. I have an AO tag so i'm hoping all the pressure will drive a buck by me. I saw a lot of sign my first and 2nd time out during archery. Saw nothing 3rd time. Found some good spots and sign 4th time, but no opportunity to take a buck. If i don't get a buck this year i'm ok with that. I have learned so much. I have gained invaluable experience. I think i have set myself up for a better season next year...
I can't wait to get out there again... i wish i had an A22 tag. Next year A22 is my first priority..... G13 2nd & D16 3rd.... Good luck to you all. I am like a horse at the starting gates right now... Anxiety is just building.....

Reactions: longbowhunter2
g13 requires points. If you have points already don't waist them on a22.

1st: PD (point draw) if your not trying to draw a zone that requires points

2nd:a22

3rd:d16

1 point will get you a G13 every time. You can draw it with no points but not as likely. Do what Brandon says get a point first only thing I would do different is apply for a great unit in the one slot you never know you could get a random draw.

Reactions: Goyaałé
g13 requires points. If you have points already don't waist them on a22.

1st: PD (point draw) if your not trying to draw a zone that requires points

2nd:a22

3rd:d16
I have no points. I want the A22 because i love archery. Also because the season is like 3 months total. I spoke to someone in Sacramento i forget her name. She said A22 will be a draw next year. I really want a buck with a bow... i guess i don't really understand the whole draw, points, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choice crap...

1 point will get you a G13 every time. You can draw it with no points but not as likely. Do what Brandon says get a point first only thing I would do different is apply for a great unit in the one slot you never know you could get a random draw.
I will only be able to hunt here in southern California. I guess i need to call Sacramento again and have them explain the whole draw points fiasco... jajajjaja

If you miss your first draw or put in for PD you get a point if you miss your second choice because that sold out in the second drawing it goes to your third choice. This is only for you first tag

Reactions: Goyaałé
Adding to the above, the more points you have, the better odds you have of drawing your first choice area. Example, if you put in for “PD” for 5 years, then on your 6th year you put in for G13, you have 6 “tickets” in the drawing. Once you draw said desired area, your points are reset to zero for all big game, excluding big horn sheep, can only draw that tag once in a lifetime in CA.
Hope that makes sense.

Not meaning to thread jack, but with your AO can’t you hunt the A22 or A31 until the end of December?
I came down with pneumonia so that ended my season on base. Looking to extend it in the east county.

Not meaning to thread jack, but with your AO can’t you hunt the A22 or A31 until the end of December?
I came down with pneumonia so that ended my season on base. Looking to extend it in the east county.
I do not believe so. AO only applies to the D, C, and I think B zones during the archery and general seasons.

Area specific archery hunts are not included. A31 has been selling out for years, so the AO tag essentially would circumvent that.

Just what a remember from living back in CA. I guess I could look it up too, but what fun is that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A Negative, Justin.....AO like Nick said is only good for the D zone dates assigned.....Ends tomorrow for D-16.

Archery-Only Deer Tags (AO Tags): These tags allow hunting with archery equipment only during the archery and general seasons in zone A; any B or D zone; and during Additional Hunt G-10 (restricted to military personnel only). You may not possess any firearm or crossbow when hunting with an Archery-Only deer tag except as otherwise provided. Archery Only deer tags are NOT valid in any C or X zone. To hunt during a C or X zone archery season, you must have the appropriate Area-Specific Archery Hunt tag for that area

This is from http://www.eregulations.com/california/hunting/mammal/deer-tag-information/
Linked to this site from fish and wildlife website.

I trust Trig, but man it’s confusing one knows D16 is a D zone but A31 isn’t A zone. I’ll never make it in this state with the gender confused people and us alfabeically challenged privileged white trash redneks.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Adding to the above, the more points you have, the better odds you have of drawing your first choice area. Example, if you put in for “PD” for 5 years, then on your 6th year you put in for G13, you have 6 “tickets” in the drawing. Once you draw said desired area, your points are reset to zero for all big game, excluding big horn sheep, can only draw that tag once in a lifetime in CA.
Hope that makes sense.

This is actually a little misleading. California is a "preference point" state which gives you "preference" over other applicants that have lesser points than you do. You do not get 6 tickets in the drawing...it simply means, in the 1st round draw itself, that you will be awarded a tag (if available) before anyone with 5.9999 points and lower. There is also a chance in the random draw (2nd round) in which all of the remaining applicants are put into a hat (with no preference number) and then tags are awarded (10% of the available tags)
As a side note, there is one spoiler to this. If you put in as a party, of say 4, and the combined points of all applicants averages 6....then you do risk one thing. Say your parties application is pulled and there are only 3 tags left in the drawing. Your application will be rejected and those 3 tags will be awarded to the next 3 Folks in line...even if they have less points than you.

As far as the AO tag goes...your season in San Diego ends today.

Reactions: DayHunter433
This is actually a little misleading. California is a "preference point" state which gives you "preference" over other applicants that have lesser points than you do. You do not get 6 tickets in the drawing...it simply means, in the 1st round draw itself, that you will be awarded a tag (if available) before anyone with 5.9999 points and lower. There is also a chance in the random draw (2nd round) in which all of the remaining applicants are put into a hat (with no preference number) and then tags are awarded (10% of the available tags)
As a side note, there is one spoiler to this. If you put in as a party, of say 4, and the combined points of all applicants averages 6....then you do risk one thing. Say your parties application is pulled and there are only 3 tags left in the drawing. Your application will be rejected and those 3 tags will be awarded to the next 3 Folks in line...even if they have less points than you.

As far as the AO tag goes...your season in San Diego ends today.
Thanks for clarifying. The point system is pretty confusing.

Thanks for clarifying. The point system is pretty confusing.

No problem...it certainly can be confusing, especially because some states do it just like you described. Instead of "preference" points, those states award "bonus" points. For those states, if you have the 6 points, you get 6 chances (by computer drawing) to pull the lowest number you can. When all numbers have been pulled, they simply start with the person that has the lowest number and start on down the line until they run out of tags. BUT! - this does give the lucky guy a chance though...as he/she might have only one point but get real lucky with their one chance and pull a very low number. However the "odds" are still your your favor because you have 6 chances to pull a good number, and they only have 1.
If you really want to be confused, look at the AZ draw. It's a bonus point system...with some crazy twists and turns! LOL!

Reactions: DayHunter433

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu