AO tags

ericl23

Dec 3, 2013
I was hoping to get some clarification on where and when I can hunt with an AO tag. I called the CDFW this moring and the gentleman said it was only good for A Zone. When I read the Big Game Hunting Digest it says the following:

Archery-Only (AO) Hunt Tag
The AO (Archery-Only) tag allows hunting with archery equipment
only during the archery and general seasons in A, B, or D
zones and Hunt G10 (military only). To hunt during an X zone
archery season, you must have an Area-Specific Archery Hunt
tag for the appropriate zone. You may not possess a firearm
or crossbow when hunting under the authority of an ArcheryOnly
deer tag except as otherwise provided.

If I read it correctly I should be able to hunt during the A31 or A32 season. Can someone let me know if I am way off base or not?

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

A, B, and D ZONES are different than specified archery hunting tags within zones (A-22, A31, A-32, etc).......D-16 for instance has a archery portion of that zones hunts (starts 1st Saturday of Sept). Then the rifle portion of D-16 opens the last Saturday in October.........A-22 is within the boundaries of D-16, but is basically a totally different hunt with different dates (both open 1st Saturday of Sept. though). Just like muzzleloader (M-6) is within the D-16 zone, but a different hunt........Confusing eh?........ :-[

I first called the long Beach office but the girl who answered couldn't answer the question so she told me to call the Sacramento office.

Thanks

Eric

Bonejour said:
Eric, what office did you call?

Don,

Does it make a difference?......Most the people working the phones at DFG have no idea what a zone or hunt is............. :-[

ilovesprig said:
Bonejour said:

Don,

Does it make a difference?......Most the people working the phones at DFG have no idea what a zone or hunt is............. :-[
sprig agreed ,

eric
it is very confusing. what sprig said is correct. if I may add, general hunting tags include an Archery before the gun season. and you may use the AO tag during the general D-16 rifle season. which is Buck Only, forked horn or better.
this an analogy. it is even difficult to explain. with out causing trouble.
so there is a general archery & rifle hunts. included with the D-16 tag. A-22 is not allowed during the rifle hunt unless the dates overlap. you have to read the regs carefully. I email them, and bugged the hell out of them until it was very clear as mud. A-22 has it's own specific season dates. which are ether sex. well there I said hope I explained it correctly. AO tag can not be used during that season.
O ya I forgot to mention the D-16 archery & the A22, overlap during the the first part of the season.
which is even more confusing but both have different season dates. read them carefully.

Ghost

ilovesprig said:
Bonejour said:

Don,

Haha you're right and Eric proved it.

Hah people that work the DFG phones don't even know people still hunt with stick and string..

Ok now my head hurts. Let's put it in D11 terms since I am going to be hunting that area. If I put in for the A31 tag and D11 tag and get both then I can hunt with bow from Sept 26 - Dec 31 for either sex and with a Rifle from Oct 10- Nov 8 for forked horn buck?

But if I don't get the A31 tag then I need an AO tag to be able to hunt with a bow during the archery part of the D11 tag (Sep 5-27) for forked horn or better and then can hunt with a rifle from Oct 10- Nov 8 for forked horn or better?

Thanks for everyones input. They definitely don't make it easy for a newB.

Eric

ericl23 said:
Ok now my head hurts. Let's put it in D11 terms since I am going to be hunting that area. If I put in for the A31 tag and D11 tag and get both then I can hunt with bow from Sept 26 - Dec 31 for either sex and with a Rifle from Oct 10- Nov 8 for forked horn buck?

But if I don't get the A31 tag then I need an AO tag to be able to hunt with a bow during the archery part of the D11 tag (Sep 5-27) for forked horn or better and then can hunt with a rifle from Oct 10- Nov 8 for forked horn or better?

Thanks for everyones input. They definitely don't make it easy for a newB.

Eric

Eric,

If you get drawn for one and can buy the other, then you can hunt each of the separate seasons. Or if they overlap like D-16 (A-22 & D-16 early archery start the same day), then you can pick which tag you want to use (bow only)......If you only get a D-11. You do NOT need an AO to hunt the archery portion of the D-11......An AO tag will allow you to hunt the entire D-11 season (bow & rifle) with a bow.

Reactions: Sdhunt17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu