Archery hunting lagunas

Tanner

May 10, 2012
Im curiouse about trying the lagunas this year. I have two archery tags and I hunt a lot of boulder and eagle peak. I would like to get some new scenery this year but I hear it gets packed up there. So any info is appreciated. Is it worth trying or not. I do like that it's archery only zone

I've hunted it a few times, seen deer every time I've been there...... If it was closer to my house I'd hunt it all the time. I've never hunted it from a stand, I just drive up there park and walk the trails and cruise threw the pines slowly.

Take Em' said:
Im curiouse about trying the lagunas this year. I have two archery tags and I hunt a lot of boulder and eagle peak. I would like to get some new scenery this year but I hear it gets packed up there. So any info is appreciated. Is it worth trying or not. I do like that it's archery only zone

Dude u hunt bolder and eagle peak and ur worring about crowds. Granted I have and will hunt those areas again But I go far. I would think those two areas get hit comparable definitely to lagunas if not worse. At least its bow only for the rec area

Go for it scout u can't loose

They don't get a lot of archery hunters that's why I hunt there. Rifle is a nightmare but I really don't see a lot of people early season. I've just heard that the lagunas can get alot of hunters and hikers.

If you are a weekend hunter you will come across hikers, mtn bikers and every style of nature lover. You just have to realize you will need to share it.

Realize there are a ton of tree stand hunters so if you are walking around and come across someone in the stand be nice and walk back out. My biggest frustration with the rec area beside people stealing my stuff is people walking in on me when I have been in before dark. You get these clowns that want to come in at 7 in the morning to do some walk and stock. Great idea but remember that is an easy way to get people upset with you.

It's a great idea to walk and stalk the rec area, the frustration can go both ways, treestand guys take the risk of having people walk up on them, since it is public land. I agree people have to be respectful and back out once they figure out what's going on.

But what if the guy doing the walking has put hours in the field scouting that particular meadow and surrounding area and wants to spot and stalk it in stead of sit in a stand?

It goes both ways. I don't beleive there's a right or wrong way to hunt the rec area.

If I was in a stand and some one walked up on me and it was accident, I wouldnt say a word cause the dude could just as easy blow that area out by pissin right where he stands in spike of the angry person in the stand .

I've hunted this area for 10+ years. you can't spot & stalk there without coming across tree stands. There are hundreds of them out there. Some hunters have 6 or 7 stands around the area. I do all 3 three hunt from a stand, a blind, and spot and stalk. I've had my best luck with a stand down there. Just be respectful of any other hunters you come a crossed and you will be ok. There are a few who will get upset no matter what as even though it is public land they think no one should be there but them. But most are not that way. it has also gotten a lot more hunters there in the last two or three years. The area I always hunter was never crowded not it is full of stands. Just goes to show people are staying closer to home. Now Off I go down to Laguna for the next three days....

stikbrandon said:
I don't beleive there's a right or wrong way to hunt the rec area.

Question, I've been hunting this are for the last 6-7 years. What are you guys referring to when you are saying the "rec" area? Thanks in advance...

HardCharger said:
stikbrandon said:
I don't beleive there's a right or wrong way to hunt the rec area.

Question, I've been hunting this are for the last 6-7 years. What are you guys referring to when you are saying the "rec" area? Thanks in advance...

Part of the Laguna MTN that is archery only. You'll need a map to know where the boundaries are.

I killed a few from a tree stand but have had better luck tracking deer and getting shots as I push the bedding areas. But I do this mid week or after 9 am on the weekends.

There are some big bucks but after opening weekend they go nocturnal until the rut kicks in.

Good luck!

Yeah I've got to agree with MJB on the big bucks, hence that is why not many are taken from there..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu