Backcountry E. Sierras

CapnCaboose

Jul 16, 2022
Just an update from the Eastern Sierras. I work on the mountain (still have 30-40 foot drifts of snow), and the backcountry is looking like it will not be open for foot travel for at least another month. At least. Went and scouted for some deer and they've already worked up and over some of the passes. Not good given the snowpack, probably going to lose a large amount of the herds.

In other words, the fishing is heating up. Just going to be another year for points here in CA I guess.

Picture was from June 6th too...

IMG_3084.png

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

If we lose more deer I can see DFW reducing quotas again. They'll never give back what we used have.

Reactions: Smokey58
How has is been down in the valleys? Any reason why the deer couldn't bail off down low to survive?

How has is been down in the valleys? Any reason why the deer couldn't bail off down low to survive?
Haven't seen many down low for about a month. I know they're around but the larger numbers already set off on their migratory routes.

Also had some light snow today on the mountain, crazy year.

Maybe good year for the west side. Theres deer right at the snow line.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu