Backpack sleeping bag and tent

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Can anyone recommend a compressable sleeping bag for backpacking. Mostly going to use it for 1-2 night trips. And also a 2 person lightweight tent. Thanks!

Depends on how much you want to spend...

For an afordable bag I'd look at the Kelty down models. I have a 20 degree Lightyear which didn't break the bank but does the job. Down packs smaller and is lighter than synthetic. The advantage of synthetic is that it dries faster if it gets wet.

I have the Eureka Spitfire I which I like. They also make a two person model.

Attachments

• Bear hunt 2012 007.JPG
    Bear hunt 2012 007.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
Lungpopper said:
Hey Breacher, is that a one man tent? Also what is the weight of the bag and the tent? (each)

Pictured are the Eureka Spitfire I tents that Millbro and I used on our backpack hunt last year. Its a 3 pound tent including rainfly and all the stakes. It doesn't pack down as small as some of the high dollar tents but for the money, its a bargain backpacking tent. Its about 18" long went packed. I strapped mine to the bottom of my pack. It also rained pretty good on us one night and the fly held up nicely.

The Kelty Lightyear down 20 degree is about 2.5 pounds. I don't know it is a true 20 degree bag. The coldest weather I've used it in was probably the high 30's. Any colder and I'd be looking for something more or would be wearing some layers.

For budget items I'd recommend them. If you have serious cash to spend, you can find much better with some of the other name brand items. They do the trick though.

I have a eureka down sleeping bag that i got on clearance from rei and worked great on the last trip we took. Packs down small and is pretty light. I have the same tent that breacher has on his recommendation. Single man tent with plenty of head room while sitting up. I took all the stuff out of the tent bag and smashed it down into the bottom of my pack to save a little space and just slid the poles down the side of my pack. it worked well. would definitly recommend the eureka spitfire.

Thanks! I ordered the tent, but I found a cheaper sleeping bag like 60$ one, just cause I had to order a new spotting scope.. But if I don't like I will upgrade it next year

Little tip on the sleeping bag. Always get one that is warmer than what you think your needs will be.
Pretty easy to unzip to cool off. But impossible to get warmer once your cold

Lungpopper said:
Little tip on the sleeping bag. Always get one that is warmer than what you think your needs will be.
Pretty easy to unzip to cool off. But impossible to get warmer once your cold

I got one that is rated for 20°.. But where I am packing into, I have to go next week and drop off some water down in there so I think I might get a cheap blanket and leave down there too.

Have you ever thought of the Hennessey Hammock? Real light weight easy to pack and comfortable. Just another option.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/Hennessey%20Hammocks?gclid=CKrVx5i0jboCFZKk4AodRUEA3g&s_kwcid=TC|13029|hennessey%20hammock||S|e|29391015845&ef_id=UkLp8gAABJseD2KA:20131010232131:s

Sfc2140 said:
Have you ever thought of the Hennessey Hammock? Real light weight easy to pack and comfortable. Just another option.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/Hennessey%20Hammocks?gclid=CKrVx5i0jboCFZKk4AodRUEA3g&s_kwcid=TC|13029|hennessey%20hammock||S|e|29391015845&ef_id=UkLp8gAABJseD2KA:20131010232131:s

Where I hunt there's very few trees

I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. It's a down bag that has a sleeve to put your pad into, so that your pad acts as your insulation underneath you. When you compress insulation in a sleeping bag by laying on it, you lose nearly all insulation value anyway, so you can save some weight by not putting insulation in the bottom of the bag. The system works pretty well. The bag is also roomy, which is nice 'cause I'm fat!

Most of the time, I sleep under the stars, unless the weather or bugs are bad. My choice of shelter for the last few years has been a very large (at least 9'x8') silicone-impregnated-nylon tarp that I made (plus a mosquito netting and polypropylene ground sheet). The tarp weighs about 2 lbs, and could sleep 2 people easily, 3 in a pinch. However, it is too big for my solo use, so I need to make a smaller one. I think it would end up weighing closer to 1.25 lbs if I did it right, and still provide plenty of room for both me and my gear. I carry lightweight stakes with me to secure it. If there are trees around I use them to hold the tent up, and if not, a sturdy stick or two.

El Matavenados said:
I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. It's a down bag that has a sleeve to put your pad into, so that your pad acts as your insulation underneath you. When you compress insulation in a sleeping bag by laying on it, you lose nearly all insulation value anyway, so you can save some weight by not putting insulation in the bottom of the bag. The system works pretty well. The bag is also roomy, which is nice 'cause I'm fat!

Most of the time, I sleep under the stars, unless the weather or bugs are bad. My choice of shelter for the last few years has been a very large (at least 9'x8') silicone-impregnated-nylon tarp that I made (plus a mosquito netting and polypropylene ground sheet). The tarp weighs about 2 lbs, and could sleep 2 people easily, 3 in a pinch. However, it is too big for my solo use, so I need to make a smaller one. I think it would end up weighing closer to 1.25 lbs if I did it right, and still provide plenty of room for both me and my gear. I carry lightweight stakes with me to secure it. If there are trees around I use them to hold the tent up, and if not, a sturdy stick or two.

You have a nice set up! My cousin has the same bag, next year i will invest into one

El Matavenados said:

I really like the Big Agnes "system", because it's impossible to roll off your pad and you do save on weight.

That said, their bags suck. I spent a week freezing balls last June in Boundary Waters in one of those bags. I was using a zero bag in 40-50F nights and I could never get warm. I normally use a Marmot Never Winter which has 2-3 internal ribs to hold heat pockets and a draw string that closes down to a circle around my nose. The Big Agnes bag I used has one half-rib at the chest and a draw string that was anchored at either side of the top so that it cinched to a giant face-wide slit. I could not adequately seal up the top and every time I moved it the bag sucked freezing air all the way down to me feet. I am shocked how poor the design is.

msteiger said:
That said, their bags suck. I spent a week freezing balls last June in Boundary Waters in one of those bags.

Msteiger - how do you really feel about the Big Agnes bag? Despite your "bolas frías"! ;D

NBK said:
msteiger said:
That said, their bags suck. I spent a week freezing balls last June in Boundary Waters in one of those bags.

Msteiger - how do you really feel about the Big Agnes bag? Despite your "bolas frías"! ;D

Just my opinion...I know I don't have to tell any here how important gear can be. Your life can depend on it at times.

I'm just surprised how poor it was because I know how popular they are becoming. I thought people buying these things would demand quality and thus drive good design in the market.

NBK said:
msteiger said:

hahahahaha

Breacher said:
For an afordable bag I'd look at the Kelty down models. I have a 20 degree Lightyear which didn't break the bank but does the job.

that's a nice bag for the money. Packs into the bottom compartment of my Kelty external frame pack, which I line with a kitchen trash bag to make sure the down bag stays dry.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu