Backstraps

BCox

Feb 19, 2015
I have a few hog backstraps and have no idea on how to cook them. Any suggestions?

Never cooked pig straps, but I think I'd boil them.....Then bbq them with good bbq sauce.....Kind of like boneless ribs.

I get a few hogs each year. I usually slow cook the straps in a crockpot and do a few pounds of pulled pork with BBQ sauce, or spice it up for carnitas. Same basic slow cook, just different ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I treat it like beef you don't want to dry it out to much. Cook it just like you would a tri tip. Haven't got sick yet and I eat it medium rare. People will have a hard time differentiating it from beef if you do it right.
You could even cut it into little 1" filet mignon size steaks wrap the outer edge with bacon and give it like 6 minutes on each side on the grill. People will go nuts for it.

Reactions: xjon
I brine mine for 24 hrs. Then make a medium spicy rub. Slow smoke at 225-250. While it's smoking I reduce 2 cups of honey and 1 cup of good maple syrup. After 2 hrs on the smoker I start to lather the turkey with the reduced honey and maple syrup

Rare-medium rare. Has a beefy flavor and is delicious. Don't worry about undercooking pork.

True. If you want to be absolutely sure about killing parasites though, you can always freeze the meat before you cook it. I make prosciutto (uncooked, salted and hung for 9-12 months) out of about half my boar hams. I freeze it to -10 to -20 for 3 months in a chest freezer before I salt it. The lower your freezer temp, the less time the meat needs in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xjon
Awesome! Thank you for all of your suggestions. I am going to serve it up over Memorial weekend.

Reactions: Bonejour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu