Big, Big Boy Down

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Had a great hunt with Jacob this morning....Got a late start, but you never know on this property and mid morning can be the best....A couple of hens came in at around 10:00 am....After some calling and hearing nothing, we settled back for a long day....At just about that time, I look to my left and there 15 yds away is a big tom looking right at me coming in dead silent....Jacob says, "Don't move"....Heck, I was already staring him down....lol...He had probably saw the decoys and was kind of nervous as he headed down to them....When he went behind a big oak, Jacob raised his gun....He then clicked off his safety....When that tom heard that loud click, he putted, and started heading straight away instead of the decoys that were just 25 yds below us....I'm telling Jacob he better shoot, but he can't because of the oaks....Finally at about 28-30 yds, he moves to the right, and Jacob lets loose with my friend Phil's TSS 3", 2 oz, #9 reloads....Flops some, but is dead, when he gets to him....This is probably the 2nd heaviest gobbler I've personally weighted....23-4 lbs, 9 3/4" beard, and fat 1" spurs....A true San Diego trophy gobbler.

PS....This was Jacob's 1st kill with his new Benelli SBE lll.

PSS....Eating big old acorns.

.011.JPG 020.JPG 025.JPG 030.JPG 038.JPG

Had a great hunt with Jacob this morning....Got a late start, but you never know on this property and mid morning can be the best....A couple of hens came in at around 10:00 am....After some calling and hearing nothing, we settled back for a long day....At just about that time, I look to my left and there 15 yds away is a big tom looking right at me coming in dead silent....Jacob says, "Don't move"....Heck, I was already staring him down....lol...He had probably saw the decoys and was kind of nervous as he headed down to them....When he went behind a big oak, Jacob raised his gun....He then clicked off his safety....When that tom heard that loud click, he putted, and started heading straight away instead of the decoys that were just 25 yds below us....I'm telling Jacob he better shoot, but he can't because of the oaks....Finally at about 28-30 yds, he moves to the right, and Jacob lets loose with my friend Phil's TSS 3", 2 oz, #9 reloads....Flops some, but is dead, when he gets to him....This is probably the 2nd heaviest gobbler I've personally weighted....23-4 lbs, 9 3/4" beard, and fat 1" spurs....A true San Diego trophy gobbler.

PS....This was Jacob's 1st kill with his new Benelli SBE lll.

PSS....Eating big old acorns.

.View attachment 34821 View attachment 34822 View attachment 34823 View attachment 34824 View attachment 34825

Great stuff. Congrats to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu