Big Snake

82toydude

Jul 28, 2013
E8741CEB-4332-4E8B-A24D-582F50848585-4825-00000A0F6C6C078D.jpg

After a morning upland hunt I like to water my dogs and rest them, and maybe take a nap myself. This particular day this snake was in my spot and normally would let go on about its business but I'd never be able to rest there again! The head turned into a pink mist with some #8's and the rest became several meals. Never had snake before that night. Not bad.

I tried different ways and was hoping the meat would fall off the bone. I needed to scrape the meat off with my teeth.

Could I have cooked it longer?

Looks good. My buddy is always trying to get me to catch snakes to eat with him. He gets quite a few rattlers on his property. It's been a long time since I've eaten snake. BTW check your PMs. I wrote you back a few days ago

Nice job and I want to try snake one day too. I haven't come across any rattlers big enough to eat yet. Did you tan the skin?

Haven't tanned it yet. Still sitting on my workbench. I'm procrastinating for a simple method and so far it seems a chemical concoction bought online may be the best.

Any suggestions?

Cheap and fast, just tack it down flesh side up and add salt. It will never be like leather but it wont ever smell.

Invisible man said:
With 2 for a buck tacos at Jacks, why in the heck would you eat that?

Invisible man the snake is healthy 100% organic food, the tacos from jack in the box is not. it's processed food.
the Indians use to sun dry the meat & then grind it up. it can be added to any meals as an additive. good stuff.
it use to be said that you got the snakes vitality. but not sure.

BuckHunter said:
Cheap and fast, just tack it down flesh side up and add salt. It will never be like leather but it wont ever smell.

That's exactly what I did. Now it's stiff waiting for the next phase? I saw something on youtoob about using glycerin and alcohol(?).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu