BOAT REGISTRATION QUESTION! NEED HELP!

DEW_0341

Apr 19, 2015
A family friend has a 10 foot flat bottom boat with an outboard motor he is going to sell me while I'm home on leave in Utah. It is registered in Utah as is the trailer. But neither come with a title. So if I bring it back to California how do I go about getting these two legal? Ive been on DMV website and its spoken so vague especially on the trailer. Do I just bring the Utah registration for both and a bill of sale for both to the DMV?

Dew,

If you belong to the Auto Club (AAA), they will guide you thru it.....Bring all info from Utah.....You'll need new plates and CF numbers.....AAA can provide both.

Going thru Cali DMV will probably be a nightmare.

Yes that's it. It's fast and easy. The boat does need cf numbers since it has a motor even an electric one. Is no big deal even a the cal dmv but aaa will be easier.

I don't belong to AAA darnet. And update. I forgot to leave out. Utah law does not require this boat to be titled only registered because it has less than a 25HP motor, so it has a vin and registration is good through Utah. Utah law does not require the trailer to be titled or registered because it is under 750 pounds. So based of all that looks like I'll be dealing with just bill of sale for both the boats registration and have to get the trailer inspected I guess.

So if I did belong to AAA I just bring it up with them and they take care of all this junk?

DEW_0341 said:
So if I did belong to AAA I just bring it up with them and they take care of all this junk?

Yep......And of course, whatever costs that California adds to it........ :-\

I'd call them 1st......Or if you'd like I can call because I'm a member with family that works there (O'side).

Gosh that would be awesome if I can get a point of contact I will do it myself and inquire about it. It sucks that I got to jump through all these hoops here in California. I'm not from here I'm not used to all this haha. In Utah they don't require a register or title for any trailer under 750 pounds and don't require a title,, only registration for a boat that has a motor under 25hp.

I know my 10' duck boat has CF numbers......And of course all trailers have a plate......Not much more than that......I'll call my daughters boyfriend tomorrow and get the cost for you.

Just post a reminder in the morning.......I'm old...... ;D

Looks like this is squared away with Steve's help, but if you go to DMV, be sure to bring the bill of sale...

Thanks for the reminder Mike.....lol

OK......This is what you need......Join AAA $64.00 1st year......Bill of sale.....Trailer brought to AAA to check VIN number.

They get $20.00 for registration, 8% sales tax (you only paid 100 bucks right.... ;)).....They will give you plates, but you will have to buy CF numbers at are issued.

The cost should be around a $100.00.

The whole ordeal should take less than an hour (less if you go to O'side).....Compared to about 5 hours at DMV.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Ok maybe the person I got on the phone in Oceanside is not very savvy cause they told me they can't do anything without a title for each of them

Try calling Oceanside AAA and ask for Jacob Kimble............760-433-6261

I was told you only need a bill of sale and the VIN number on the trailer (you'll have to bring trailer). If it's a home made trailer. Then tell him that.

This isn't rocket science. Both the DMV and AAA do these all the time.

I assume they process these the same as of you had a lost pink slip scenario. As long as the VINs don't come up as stolen you will be fine. Just have a bill of sale listing both of them.

I've done many lost pink slips on stuff I have bought on craigslist over the years. AAA makes it easy, but with an appointment done online the DMV won't be too bad either.

Saw Jacob this evening......He said there's no problem with AAA doing without a pink.......No call either.

Thanks for all your replies guys I'll talk with the wife and get it on with AAA. Tried to set up appointment with DMV today their next opening isn't until end of July!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu