Bobcat

Todd1817

Dec 28, 2015
Looking for a good area to go bobcat hunting. Called San Bernardino amd Cleveland National forest areas. Anu good advice in picking the perfect area to hunt bobcat

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I have seen bobcats in different parts of the SBdo National Forest, so I don't know about a "perfect" spot. You have a chance no matter where you go, imo.

Yeah was looking around Palomar Mt...... But dont have any idea what trails to use

I have called cats in the local mountains and cats down in the desert. Find areas with thick cover and set up 50-100 yards from that cover and call into it. Cats like the security of thick cover because it gives them a place to hide. Sometimes they will come right to the edge of the brush line and then sit down and look in the direction of the call. If you aren't periodically scanning that brush line with bino's you may never see them with the naked eye because they blend in so well.

Reactions: turkeyman 85
I have called cats in the local mountains and cats down in the desert. Find areas with thick cover and set up 50-100 yards from that cover and call into it. Cats like the security of thick cover because it gives them a place to hide. Sometimes they will come right to the edge of the brush line and then sit down and look in the direction of the call. If you aren't periodically scanning that brush line with bino's you may never see them with the naked eye because they blend in so well.
Yeah i was thinking about useing my turkey call also..... I still debating either going to oc part of cleveland national or idllywild part of san bardo national forst

Yeah i was thinking about useing my turkey call also..... I still debating either going to oc part of cleveland national or idllywild part of san bardo national forst

Straight up. I'd go to SD part of Cleveland. I hunt both and sd is loaded. I seen them way more than in the north. But if you did hunt the trabuco hunt up at the top off the 74.

I am thinking of the trabco area i am thinking of going too santiago peak

Double up by going after coyotes. Much greater percentage of success with coyotes and the calling is similar (just need to be more stealthy with cats).

Yeah i was thinking about hitting both with some jack rabbits along the way... Maybe using a mouth turkey call and or getting a quail call

Let us know how that turkey & quail calls work for coyotes......I've never had any friends (or myself) ever try it....I've had a number of coyotes come in while turkey hunting. I think it's more of a visual thing to the decoys.

Personally, I'd invest in a handheld varmint call with wounded rabbit as your primary sound.

.turkey opener 2013 044.JPG

Let us know how that turkey & quail calls work for coyotes......I've never had any friends (or myself) ever try it....I've had a number of coyotes come in while turkey hunting. I think it's more of a visual thing to the decoys.

Personally, I'd invest in a handheld varmint call with wounded rabbit as your primary sound.

.View attachment 29248
Cool good idea ive got turkey decoys too

I am thinking of the trabco area i am thinking of going too santiago peak

honestly Ive never seen bobcats around Santiago peak. what I have seen are big lions lol.but I would stay lower in elevations seems that the yotes and bobbies are closer to the homes.

Ok cool thanks for the info..... Still thinking about hitting sd palomar mt area also

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu