bow/arrow question

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hey all, well my son (16) got all A's from summer school and he sold his mountain bike to raise money for his first real compound bow. so he is the proud owner of a bear attitude set at 60lbs with a 30" draw. he is 6'2" tall is has a looong arms. Ive been looking at arrows. I was told to get 340 sized arrows. He wont be hunting the bow for atleast 6months. maybe pigs in the spring time.

My question. What is a good price i shoudl expect to pay for range arrows? hes got A LOT of practicing to do before getting good hunting arrows.

in order to know what arrow he needs. You will need to know the type of cam, poundage of the bow, and length of pull. There are charts that will tell you what arrow to use.
I recommend you practice with the same arrows you are going to hunt with. Like bullets, not all arrows shoot the same.

Lungpopper said:
in order to know what arrow he needs. You will need to know the type of cam, poundage of the bow, and length of pull. There are charts that will tell you what arrow to use.
I recommend you practice with the same arrows you are going to hunt with. Like bullets, not all arrows shoot the same.

well its a stock bear attitude with a wheel on the top and a cam on the bottom.
http://www.beararchery.com/bows/compound/attitude
its currently set at 60 altough im sure with practice he will get to 70 soon enough. the LOP or draw is set at 29"

the guy said he needs atleast 340 or even 300 arrows for strength. he will be hunting yote as soon as he is comfortable with it and pig in the spring.

I was hoping to get some "practice arrows to start but if not what is a budget friendly hunt ready arrow? what would be a good weight and type of head for yotes? Pig?

thanks for your help so far.

I wouldn't worry about raising his draw weight for at least a year, when his accuracy at distances above 60 yards make it desirable to flatten the arc. That removes your worry about having to waste the old arrows because they aren't stiff enough. Work on his form at close range and only let him advance distance as he masters his form and proves his accuracy closer in. I think new archers break and lose arrows by increasing distance too quickly. Where will he practice? A good target is worth the investment if you have space for him to use it.

Bonejour said:
I wouldn't worry about raising his draw weight for at least a year, when his accuracy at distances above 60 yards make it desirable to flatten the arc. That removes your worry about having to waste the old arrows because they aren't stiff enough. Work on his form at close range and only let him advance distance as he masters his form and proves his accuracy closer in. I think new archers break and lose arrows by increasing distance too quickly. Where will he practice? A good target is worth the investment if you have space for him to use it.
Exactly what Lp and Bonejour said. I shoot the exact bow. And it is fun to shoot. I have mine set at 60 @ 29 draw. I currently use low end victory or gold tip carbon arrows. 400 or 50 to 60 lbs. Cost about 7 or 8 bucks each. Because I break them or loose them when I shoot and I miss at dear. As a bigginer at compound. You can go to 300 when he cranks it up later..
Ghost

Bonejour said:

we live 5 min from verdugo hills archers so im going to make the membership investment for him so he can practice 3-4 days a week for at least an hour a day.
I grew up shooting long bows for competition target shooting but this is all new getting into compound bows for hunting. I dont want him to get hurt or get sick of it. my plan is to leave him at 60lbs for a long while and have him get really good at each range before moving back. at the range we bought the bow he was already hitting 6" groups at the 25yard line 12 in a row this afternoon. but he was pretty worn out after that. We usually get within 30 yards or so of our pigs so extended range is not a priority at this point. It will be when and if he starts hunting deer.

thanks for the info ill order some 400 arrows tonight

I have that same bow and I use the blackout brand from bass pro. They are made by golden tip and have a good price. Half dozen for $39.99. Dozen is $60. They are cheap enough for target and nice enough for hunting in my opinion.

Reactions: Goyaałé
I bought a dozen and use 6 for practice and have 6 set aside for when I'm ready to hunt with it. I shoot a Bear Venue. And use Beeman Pork Chop arrows.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu