Butcher Recommendations

Farmer Brothers meets is up near bakersfield but closer to you is Brees meats in Garden Grove.

always done a great job for my friends and I

That's an interesting knife. Replacement blades, sort of like an X-acto knife. What made you choose that?

The blades are super-sharp and the knives are light, well-balanced and easy to handle. I have one in my kit and I love it for skinning. But for gutting and boning, I still prefer the heft of a heavier fixed blade. The disposable blades don't tolerate much torque or leverage. Apologies again for the thread jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking that they look like they could break, like an xacto would or something of that nature.

I like to pack in for over night trips so weight is a big deal. At only 3 ounces you don't even know you are packing it. The next is that they are very sharp and if they dull just put another blade on.
I agree that they don't do well when trying to separate the joints. I always carry a pocket knife so if I need to separate joints it gets a workout. Most of the time I'm de boning in the field so not trying to separate the joints. I'm cutting meat away from the bones trying to lighten my load. The havalon works similar to a fillet knife and lets the blade flex while de boning.
All my knives are sharp, but to keep them sharp I carry a diamond knife sharpener. The sharpener alone weighs more than twice what the havalon weighs and then I still need to pack a knife. That sharpener knife combo is around 13-14 ounces or a little more than 3/4 of a pound.
Because of the weight difference I rarely carry the combo in the field any more.

Farmer Brothers meets is up near bakersfield but closer to you is Brees meats in Garden Grove.

always done a great job for my friends and I

+1 on Farmer Brothers. I butcher my own deer, but I've taken a few wild pigs to them and they do a great job.

Response to the thread jack:
Exchangeable blade knives are amazing in the backwoods. I used 4 blades skinning and boning a bear this weekend. Super light, no downtime to stop and sharpen, razor sharp every time.
5f869d7f73d4cbf39147fe3e5eebb335.jpg

The blades are super-sharp and the knives are light, well-balanced and easy to handle. I have one in my kit and I love it for skinning. But for gutting and boning, I still prefer the heft of a heavier fixed blade. The disposable blades don't tolerate much torque or leverage. Apologies again for the thread jack.

I was taught by a butcher to let the knife do the cutting

It's easy to debone in the field and just put the bones in the trash

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu