CADFG Commission President's Public Endorsement of Project Coyote

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
President Sutton is not a friend of us hunters. It is so important to be involved in the fight.

Here is a message from the US Sportsman's Alliance

Thanks,

Wheels

Hi All,

Please take a few minutes to view the video found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UkSFSeXd2I.

In it, you will note California Fish and Game Commission President Michael Sutton describing the action the Commission recently took to ban inducements in conjunction with the take of predators. Furthermore, he indicates his intention that this is but the beginning of their efforts to further restrict the taking of predators and suggests the potential establishment of bag limits for coyotes. Following his remarks, Project Coyote Founder Camilla Fox takes the opportunity to use his words to bolster the credibility of Project Coyote and solicit donations to her organization.

The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, along with the many conservation organizations that make up the Al Taucher Conservation Coalition, urged the Commission to not cave to the emotional and baseless arguments of Project Coyote and HSUS, but rather, to take a cautious, diligent, and measured approach to this controversial topic by compelling the California Department of Fish and Wildlife to undertake a comprehensive predator management plan that would employ the collection and use of data applied to long-accepted scientific and ecological principles when considering such topics as coyote contests or bobcat trapping.

Sutton is no stranger to questionable affiliations, and continues to come under fire for his penchant for conflicts of interest as well as his unwillingness to formally obligate himself to ethical standards of conduct. USSA and some notable member organizations of ATCC are currently working to bring this behavior to an end and you may rest assured that this latest example of Sutton's blatant bias will be used to encourage his departure from his seat on the Commission as soon as possible once his term ends next week.

We will continue to advocate for objective and fair-minded Commissioners as we collectively work to restore integrity and credibility to the Commission by reinforcing the role of science and the value of hunting, fishing, and trapping in the management of our state's natural resources.

I would encourage you to distribute the video far and wide in order to bring increased awareness to the situation, but feel free to cut out my editorial should you so choose.

Josh
Government Affairs Coordinator, Western Office
U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

Robert,

Thanks for posting......We need more and younger folks fighting this political battle along with us old guys......Get involved...... :mad:

The rest of the nation must just laugh at us....... pathetic

How can Sutton do a video with the coyote project, makes me want to puke.

Utah pays us to kill coyotes.......by their logic they will burn in hell for doing that.

i will kill a couple of coyotes this weekend in honor of miss fox. its the only sane thing to do. :)

I agree with everything said. One thing to note is that the commissioner are okay to do these kind of videos on one side or another. I just feel it shows so much bias and it make the perception that they agree with one side. It is so important that we have commissioner that really hear both side and give both side the equal feeling that what we are saying also counts.

We need to new appointed commissioners to the State Fish and Game. Sutton, Baylis and Rogers need to go. Suttons time is up this next month and Rogers time was up in 2011 and he still sits on this board. The governor does the appointing and he hasn't done anything yet.

I am passionate about being involved, but I feel we really lack more people like myself to help. My group belongs to the San Diego County Wildlife Federation http://www.sdcwf.org/ .

This groups works hard to help get the voice out and help by righting letter. The currently speak for about 12000 people in San Diego Outdoor group. But the meetings are low attendance and this is sad. I am 42 years old, I wish more of us in the age group would be willing to be involved to promote the sport we all participate in. Some people will say I just want to hunt and I don't like the politics. Well politics is in every aspect of our life. It isn't going away. These meetings at the Federation are business meeting, so it isn't like they are energized with new hot topics. This is a group that helps stay on top of local issues we are all dealing with, like locked gate, and access issues.

But when we never hear about the issues people are finding while using public land then we can't help fix the issues. The federation has contacts and sits down with Boarder Patrol, Cleveland and BLM when they hear of problem. These areas can be addressed so we all can gain more access to the areas with enjoy being at.

Please take a moment and think about coming to this meeting as a citizen of San Diego and listen in and maybe get involved. Some people might say, "what has the Federation done for San Deigo??" We I think they have done great, have they made huge progress stopping or getting things done? Maybe in some areas and in other areas possible not. But would they be better closing the door and not being around? No I don't thin so. The federation holds a larger voice than we do as individuals or small 50 person groups.

We have a lot of hunting groups around this county and if you aren't with one maybe you should. We need to get some younger blood in the groups. We are the ones that will continue on the tradition which all of the older generation has been trying to preserve for us.

Everyone says they will help and want to jump in. I know we all have families. I have 3 kids myself. But I will continue to be involved and do whatever I can. But I won't burn myself out doing it.

So, I encourage all of you to not only support the larger organization by sending them money, but by taking a step forward to help with open hands. The more willing to help will take the larger burden off the few that carry it all currently.

Don't look at hunting as only your recreation, but look at it as you future which needs your help.

Sorry I kind of went everywhere on this email. Hope I am making sense to you all,

Robert,

I met you over the summer at the Fish and Game Commission meeting here in San Diego and I really appreciate all of the time and effort you have spent working to defend our hunting privileges. As a concerned sportsman I know that I need to become more active in the fight because just a handful of people can't be expected to do all the work on behalf of everyone else. I am unsure of exactly where to start as far as becoming more involved in the fight but I will plan on attending the San Diego County Wildlife Federation meeting next month.

Josh Pearson

Baldkrash said:
How does one get to be on the fish and game commission?

They're nominated by the governor......When you get a governor like Moonbean. Then you get bleeding hearts like Jack Baylis and Mike Sutton.

Many were county commissioners like myself......It also normally takes a large monetary sum donated to the governors cause as well..... ;)

Baldkrash said:
How does one get to be on the fish and game commission?

Yes they get appointed

In 1937 the Fish and Game Commission was increased from three to its current five members, and in 1940 a constitutional amendment provided for six-year staggered terms with Commissioners appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the Senate according to Government Code subsection 1774(c).

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/public/information/

Boot licking politics. Sutton mentioned "science." What science? No "science" was shown to prove the lead bullet ban was needed. Disgusting. Fox should take a knitting class.

There is such a small percent of the population that hunts. Especially coyotes. It is very frustrating that this state makes it a point to punish hunting since it does not line up with it's politically correct agenda. My sister inlaw was giving me a ton of grief for hunting predators infront of my son. I told my son he should never be ashamed of hunting, fishing, or guns.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu