can you have more than 2 OTC tags?

pao

Apr 17, 2017
I am not trying to get 3 deer kills, I am wondering if its possible to have 1 draw + 1 tag purchased through the website and in addition, 1 more tag for a different zone?

So, I'd like the OPTION of hunting in 3 zones, but at most i'd have 2 deer. Is this possible/legal?

Under certain circumstances yes. A D13 tag will give you access to D11 & D15 as well. An AO tag has multiple zones and seasons. These are all preset by the DFG so you cant just pick 3 zones you want to hunt. The hunting regulations on the DFG Website is your bible. Know it like the back of your hand. It can save your bacon!

If you have the time to hunt three CA deer I recommend going out of state for one of the tags. OTC in montana, Colorado, Idaho etc. A lot more deer and a lot higher success rate.

I don't think my question was clear enough. But I think I found the answer.

I am drawing for X10 with only 1 preference point, so I'm assuming I won't get it.
Upon some research it seems if I don't draw, I can get a 2nd tag at that time.
Which was the answer I was looking for.

thanks.

You more than likely will draw your 2nd choice and you will get a point for not drawing your first. But CA always has a random chance for every tag so you could draw x10 if your lucky.

I am drawing for X10 with only 1 preference point, so I'm assuming I won't get it.

thanks.
I think i know what your question is . but i have to re write it a little bit Correct me if i'am wrong .

I'am putting X10 as my first choice with one preference points . if i don't draw will i get my second choice ?
Answer. It depends on what you put in on your second choice . if it's a high demand tag ( tags that are gone on the first round of the draw) you will not get it. low demand tags or left over tags on the first round you will get it as your second choice.
sample, X10 first choice
X9a second choice
A third choice
You will get A tag on your mail and buy an OTC second tag in any DFW outlet.

thanks.

You'll draw x10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have the time to hunt three CA deer I recommend going out of state for one of the tags. OTC in montana, Colorado, Idaho etc. A lot more deer and a lot higher success rate.
OTC deer in CO isn't really a thing. You may find leftovers, or OTC whitetail tags for certain units. CO is definitely a good OTC elk state if you are looking for quanity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You will draw x10 the regs state that it takes 0 points to draw that unit and to be honest I have drawn it on my second choice ! You will draw it and then you can get a second tag if you would like

You will draw x10 the regs state that it takes 0 points

oooh, can you show me where you saw that info?
From what I gathered there are 400 tags, and 360 of them go towards people with preferential points so I assumed that the odds are low.

oooh, can you show me where you saw that info?
From what I gathered there are 400 tags, and 360 of them go towards people with preferential points so I assumed that the odds are low.
Here are the draw odds from 2016 for x10.

400 total tags. They are setup to allocate 90% of the tags to preference point holders. Allocating at the highest amount and then going down the list.

During the draw they only allocated 346 total tags. Leaving 54 tags to go to leftovers.

X10 is a zone you can hunt every year, but always put it as a second choice. No reason to waste preference points. Someone wasted 6 pts on x10 last year. I feel bad for them....
0c729d7fab5653ae0aae30a38704c75d.jpg
View attachment 2016 DEER DRAW stats.pdf

Okay, I don't feel bad for him. Haha

I wonder why he wouldn't just put it as a second choice and not loose the points though. Unless this DFG report is skewed.

Okay, I don't feel bad for him. Haha

I wonder why he wouldn't just put it as a second choice and not loose the points though. Unless this DFG report is skewed.

I have a feeling they are yanking your chain on that one ...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu