Canned Heat....2-1-22

ilovesprig

Staff member
I've never been too big on canned pheasant/chukar hunts, but they do have their place...Yesterday was one of those places...Coley hunted pheasant, huns, and sharpies in Montana, but never got to get into a rhythm on those wild birds...Under this controlled environment, he was able point (yes, point), flush, and retrieve a bunch of birds...Damn fun with the guys at Greenhead Club... :blush:

.IMG_4485.JPGIMG_4491.JPGIMG_4494.JPGIMG_4498.JPGIMG_4518.JPG

They are fun to do. Went with a bunch of guys who never pheasant hunted including my dad and brother. It was good to get them on birds.

I took a cool picture of them drawn on the bird with the guide and dog in the background.....they missed the bird though. HahaIMG_20131014_223957.jpg

They are fun to do. Went with a bunch of guys who never pheasant hunted including my dad and brother. It was good to get them on birds.

I took a cool picture of them drawn on the bird with the guide and dog in the background.....they missed the bird though. HahaView attachment 53201

Great picture...Wish I would've gotten a picture of Coley pointing...... ;)

Steve, Did train a pointing lab year before last that was the most prey driven dog I hae ever worked with. (bred as a pointer) That dog was the most prey driven dog I have ever encountered. Got a lab right now that I have been able train to sit on the bird rise and wait for the release to retrieve. Smart dog that I have been able to train the nuances of upland hunting to. I have worked with the manager of Greenhead for the past few years on snake aversion clinics and before that one of the founders used to invite my wife and I out for a shoot or two each year. IMO canned birds are a good start for a young dog once they have been on the basics but you gotta get your dog onto wild birds for them to learn and finish their skills. Certainly not a cost effective place to hunt unless you have money to burn for a membership....

Steve, Did train a pointing lab year before last that was the most prey driven dog I have ever worked with. (bred as a pointer) That dog was the most prey driven dog I have ever encountered. Got a lab right now that I have been able train to sit on the bird rise and wait for the release to retrieve. Smart dog that I have been able to train the nuances of upland hunting to. I have worked with the manager of Greenhead for the past few years on snake aversion clinics and before that one of the founders used to invite my wife and I out for a shoot or two each year. IMO canned birds are a good start for a young dog once they have been on the basics but you gotta get your dog onto wild birds for them to learn and finish their skills. Certainly not a cost effective place to hunt unless you have money to burn for a membership....

Fred,

Not cost effective is an understatement...Fortunately, I have friends in high places.... :joy:

Coley is very driven...I introduced him to an e-collar during the waterfowl season and his discipline level changed quickly...He started on wild birds in Montana...And as you know, they would rather run than fly...I'm super excited for next season.

ps...If you could do a week-day or Sunday snake avoidance class, I would love to come up.

.IMG_3192.JPGIMG_3219.JPGIMG_3213.JPG

I've never been too big on canned pheasant/chukar hunts, but they do have their place...Yesterday was one of those places...Coley hunted pheasant, huns, and sharpies in Montana, but never got to get into a rhythm on those wild birds...Under this controlled environment, he was able point (yes, point), flush, and retrieve a bunch of birds...Damn fun with the guys at Greenhead Club... :blush:

.View attachment 53195View attachment 53197View attachment 53198View attachment 53199View attachment 53200
Looks like a great time, canned pheaseant and chukar hunts are great for introducing a pup to upland game , as you stated it's a controlled enviroment and you know the birds are there .I compare it to teaching a youngster how to fish, if the youngsters first fishing trip is chasing trophy largemouths , a hundred casts later and no bites equates to not much fun, on the other hand take that same youngster to a lake loaded with crappie and or panfish and the kid will be hooked for life , young pups in my opinion react much the same way.

Good job!

Looks like a great time, canned pheaseant and chukar hunts are great for introducing a pup to upland game , as you stated it's a controlled enviroment and you know the birds are there .I compare it to teaching a youngster how to fish, if the youngsters first fishing trip is chasing trophy largemouths , a hundred casts later and no bites equates to not much fun, on the other hand take that same youngster to a lake loaded with crappie and or panfish and the kid will be hooked for life , young pups in my opinion react much the same way.

Good job!

Great analogy................ :blush:

That's great Steve. Nothing like good dog work! Planted birds aren't exciting but they serve their purpose. Nice way to extend the season and get the dogs more bird contacts.

I went on a canned hunt at four winds, talk about sorry ass birds. We could not get them to fly. They warned us about ground sleuthing birds ( they knew) so we just let the dogs go get them then we tossed them in the air and, even then they would not fly. We do a canned hunt every year at Woods and Meadows in central Wis. Those birds act as close to wild ones as you will ever see.

Back