Can't decide on what Caliber

Nicholas909

Suns out, Guns Out
Sep 1, 2014
Yucaipa
So I'm getting a new rifle, But I'm having a problem deciding on the Caliber. It's Between the 338 Federal, 338 win mag, & the 375 Ruger. I'm mainly going to use it for Black bear, but I'm also planning a trip to Alaska for Brown bear in the next 18 month. Any thought's?

Well that's a given, over time at least. But what I'm really looking for is if anyone has had any experience with the 338 federal , or the 375 Ruger.

338 Win Mag. 338 Federal is cool but you only put so much powder in a 308 cartridge. If hunting brown bear is a possibility I would like a bit more horsepower.

.338 Win Mag - hands down. The .338 Fed is a great cartridge but lacks the versatility and long range energy of its big brother (.338 Win Mag). The .375 Ruger is a beast but you really don't need that kind of power. Ammo is not as easy to find either.

Let's face it, the .338 Win Mag produces in excess of 3900 foot pounds of muzzle energy and has more energy at 200 yards than a 30-06 has at the muzzle.

For North American bear it is the perfect cartridge.

Wow. Quite a difference indeed! Pricey round but for that kind of stopping power...

Truduct said:
Am I wrong to go for 30-06? I all ways thought that was the rifle for everything in North America?

I own a 30-06, but it sits in my safe 90% of the time. Plus I want something I dont own yet.

Ajsnack said:
338 Win Mag. 338 Federal is cool but you only put so much powder in a 308 cartridge. If hunting brown bear is a possibility I would like a bit more horsepower.
I was thinking the same thing about the 338 federal. I just dont know much about it, so I had to ask.

If you already have 30-06 I would say the .338 win mag. I just like owning rifles that are popular and ammo is readily available wherever you go .270,7mm, 30-06, .338 all fit in that catagory in my opinion. The .338 win mag is also a very popular cartrige and readily available. When I first read your post I didnt get down to the brown bear portion I just read black bear. I dont own any of the calibers you listed but I have a few friends who love the .338. I have shot them a few times and they are fun and definately pack a punch down range and are very accurate. All the black bear I see up in Sierras/yosemite really are not monsters. I know someone bagged a 700lber a few years ago but definately not common I think average weight is more like 200lbs.
I have never hunted bear so my opinion really sucks. In fact I retract all statememnts buy all three. You can never have enough guns.
With that said when it comes to Brown Bear if you really want to pack a punch pick up a 45-70 some day. I shoot my father inlaws every lever action every once in a while that is a really cool gun. When sitting it in we were having to take turns luckily got it down under 10 rounds, man is that a mean gun. Throwing 450 grains down range will put a smile on anyones face. ;D
Do you know what type of rifle yet?

I'm thinking of getting the Savage Bear hunter,it's has a 23" barrel that's including the muzzle brake. I have a fondness for odd caliber's. But i do own most of the readily available rounds. I have a 7mm-08, 308, 270, 30-06, 300 win mag, 30-30 lever, 357mag lever, 45-70, 44mag lever.

Muzzle brake........no thanks for a hunting rifle......what's the barrel life & how heavy is this gun

MJB said:
Muzzle brake........no thanks for a hunting rifle......what's the barrel life & how heavy is this gun

It's 7.75lbs. It has Savage's Adjustable muzzle brake on it. So you can actually open & close the brake. The Barrel life will depend on the round.

I'm not a fan of the break too loud and no one wants to be next to you when shooting. I've seen guys pull the shot because they are anticipating the loud bang........for hunting your using 10 rounds or less a year I don't see a need.

Now 8lbs that's light for a mag caliber like the ones your looking at.....heavy is no fun to carry but its a lot better on the kick

MJB said:
I'm not a fan of the break too loud and no one wants to be next to you when shooting. I've seen guys pull the shot because they are anticipating the loud bang........for hunting your using 10 rounds or less a year I don't see a need.

Now 8lbs that's light for a mag caliber like the ones your looking at.....heavy is no fun to carry but its a lot better on the kick

Make's very good sense.... Being a rifle on the lighter side, is my guess on the muzzle brake. I've shot 50 cal's & 338 lapua's with Brakes, & couldn't imagine shooting them without hearing Protection.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu