"Carding" or "Tethering" Pheasant

QuackerSmacker

Jan 23, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Hey everyone, I've been doing some research online and haven't found anything so I thought I'd ask around on here... Does anyone have any experience with "carding" or "tethering" pheasant? I've carded pigeons and quail before (attached an 8"x8" piece of cardboard to their foot using a string) but I'm not sure how to go about it with a larger bird. I've been buying birds and working my lab and brittany on them using a launcher but it's not realistic, wild birds just don't hold like that. I'd like to let a few birds go in a field and then work the dogs. The idea being that the birds can move around a bit and relocate, they just won't (likely) be able to run to the next field or fly 150 yards away. I'm thinking that using cardboard is not realistic since it would need to be a very large piece to be effective. I'm thinking about plexiglass as it's heavier and would still provide some wind resistance... What's worked for you guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We use a piece of rubber hose or large diameter clear tubing that you can get at the hardware store. The piece of tubing/hose is about two feet long and we attach a piece of 1/4" nylon rope with a loop at the end so that it can be used to form a slip noose around the birds leg. They can run with it but not fly very well if at all. I would suggest you start with a longer piece of hose and cut it down until you get the desired effect.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu