Cibola Sportsman's Club

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
Anybody hunt geese there? I'm planning a guys trip and I want to hunt Sac but one of my buddies suggested I look into Cibola Sportsman. It's closer than Sac but my main concern is the number of hunters CS books. A group hunt is a 12 person min. WTH? I don't want to goose hunt with 12 - 15 people. Does anyone have experience with this place, good or bad?

The Cibola valley used to a the So Cal/Arizona mecca for dark geese but has become very poor over the last fifteen years. Migration to the valley is way down thus less opportunities. They still kill geese but its not like it used to be. Go north for better opportunities

Snake Charmer said:
The Cibola valley used to be the So Cal/Arizona mecca for dark geese but has become very poor over the last fifteen years. Migration to the valley is way down thus less opportunities. They still kill geese but its not like it used to be. Go north for better opportunities

+1........Sac Valley has more geese than ever before with lots of great opportunities (mostly specs & snows).....The honkers showed up very late last year to Cibola (very dependent on the weather in Utah). 75% of our honkers last year were taken in the last 10 days. And our numbers overall were about 1/2 of the year before.

Cibola is a tuff place to hunt now. 1999 and 2000 were the last of the old Cibola goose days regarding migration numbers. So in a nutshell you may want to explore other areas of opportunity. Not saying that the Sportsman's Club doesn't shoot geese but when the migration numbers drop from 25,000 birds down to 5,500 birds it may just be a wee bit more tough to have good and consistent bird shoots.

Hunted the refuge late December 13 and not one bird shot all weekend. Also, I have a place in Parker,AZ that I drive by Cibola every time I go there and the number of birds has drastically decreased year over year there. Very low numbers. More fun to jump shoot the ponds/river around there than try to decoy the geese. If you want to get some raccoon and coyote then that is a great place to go. There are some deer that run in and out of there on the arizona side of the river as well. I have never hunted geese up north but I would definitely go up there if you have the time/money as you will have a much better time if you are looking for birds.

NBK said:
Cibola is a tuff place to hunt now. 1999 and 2000 were the last of the old Cibola goose days regarding migration numbers. So in a nutshell you may want to explore other areas of opportunity. Not saying that the Sportsman's Club doesn't shoot geese but when the migration numbers drop from 25,000 birds down to 5,500 birds it may just be a wee bit more tough to have good and consistent bird shoots.

Last year in Sac I saw 25,000 each morning before 8am!

SluiceCoot said:
NBK said:

Love me some Sac geese

Attachments

• 30yds.jpg
    30yds.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 37
SluiceCoot said:
NBK said:

Who were you hunting with?

Blake's. Blake wasn't guiding. Geese were thick but they pretty much ignored the set up. I don't think they had their spread right and I think it was over shot. Shot a ton of ducks and one speck. This year I've booked Kenny

Can't go wrong with Ken Begley (Dusk to Dawn Guide Service)................ ;)

.https://youtu.be/z8NDrp0JyBk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu