Couple of precision hunting sticks

punkur67

Apr 12, 2014
My dad and I have cow elk tags in Arizona for next month so I thrashed to get my 6.5 saum ready. I also picked up a lighter chassis for my 300wm as a back up. Broke in the 6.5 saum barrel last week and did some load development today. Got good SDs and the velocities I want from the 6.5 saum but don't think I will have time to tune it at distance before our hunt. I got single digit SDs and decent groups. Shot 2850-2950 with the test loads with the berger 156 elite hunter bullets. Plan is to run the 300wm since I'm very comfortable and confident with it and has been out to a mile plenty of times.

Here's my weapon of choice for our upcoming hunt. I shaved 11#s off the gun changing from my weighted long range chassis to the KRG bravo.

20231022_105400.jpg20231018_215456.jpg
View attachment 20231022_102214.mp4

Here's my load data from yesterday. I had a hard time finding a starting point because of the wild variance of load data I found online. I found peoples loads from 56 grains of H1000 all the way up to 62. I started in the middle and stopped when I had heavy bolt lift. I got nowhere near 62 grains
1698070802561.png

Reactions: NBK
Here's my load data from yesterday. I had a hard time finding a starting point because of the wild variance of load data I found online. I found peoples loads from 56 grains of H1000 all the way up to 62. I started in the middle and stopped when I had heavy bolt lift. I got nowhere near 62 grains
View attachment 60189

Yeah, people like to post outliers and inflate numbers. That 156 going 2950ish will be a hammer.

Reactions: punkur67
View attachment 60189
This is an awesome chart and way beyond what i know about reloading but i am always willing ot learn more. Is this something you made or something readily found on the internets?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu