Coyotes in Cleveland National Forest

Demo party? Sounds fun, but not too sure my neighbor will dig it. He's taking all the cabinets for his garage.
The hills are really nice right now. That ran helped. I went out to Estelle mountain this evening too. Hiked around until it got dark. No one out there but me and whatever critters that were watching me.
Nice and green out there too. Easy to step quietly.

Oath Keeper

MrDenton said:
I dropped pins at each spot. The furthest one out was approx 1 mile, 1,980' elevation and no signs of dogs. 9d2660f3031858a0edb7702decb5cdee.jpg

Oath Keeper

looks like that's private land hers a screen shot from my onxhunt app

Attachments

• screenShot1.jpg
    screenShot1.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 9d2660f3031858a0edb7702decb5cdee.jpg
    9d2660f3031858a0edb7702decb5cdee.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 7
Thank you everyone for this awesome thread! Lots of great info on here. I'm a new hunter and live in Lake Elsinore about a mile from the 74 going into the Ortega.(CNF) I would love to go on any of these scouting hikes or hunts if anyone is interested please let me know! Looking to learn all that I can. And this place is a wealth of knowledge! Just wondering what is everyone using for a rifle?

BigStixx said:
Just wondering what is everyone using for a rifle?
Stixx,
Lots of regulars on here have a ton of experience to help you. Two things I've learned from them:
First, you already have a good rifle for coyotes. You might want to consider a shotgun as your next purchase of a firearm. Having both at your stand will increase your chances of a kill if the dog comes in on the run at close range.
Also, what scope are you using on your AR? Optics are at least as important as the firearm itself.
Both these questions are useful to consider before you get another rifle.
My two cents.

Bonejour,
Thanks for the info to be honest I have only had my AR for about a month. As of right now I only have folding Iron sights on it. I'm looking at getting the Bushnell 1-4X24mm. I know it's more of a tact optic. I'm looking for something to do a bit of double duty! Any ideas on optics would be helpful!

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

I'd want a bigger objective lens for FOV and brightness in low light, and high end mag of 6 to get me out to 300 yds. I actually have a Zeiss HD5-25x50 on my .223... The scope was practically a gift so i just have to make do on the low end ;)
Here is a great thread for you:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=3946

BigStixx said:
Bonejour,
Thanks for the info to be honest I have only had my AR for about a month. As of right now I only have folding Iron sights on it. I'm looking at getting the Bushnell 1-4X24mm. I know it's more of a tact optic. I'm looking for something to do a bit of double duty! Any ideas on optics would be helpful!

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

For the money the scope you are looking at is very-very good. And for Coyote hunting the low power scopes are awesome. My opinion, but I think you may have a winner here...

Actually the FOV on that scope is pretty good:
Field of View: ft@100yds/m@100m 110/33@1x / 36/11@4x

We hunt deer there every year your good. But the meadow your talking about is danger close to the golf course and homes. If you want take Indian truck all the way to four corners. It's better hunting. Trust me I'm always up there watching deer in those mountains. I live off of el cerrito across the street from Santiago. If you want hit me up and I can show you around up there.

That sounds great. Would be nice to have a little guidance. I got a little nervous about hunting near my house because of all the inconsistent boundaries.

Oath Keeper

Are the house with the big retaining wall? Cause I'm sure you've seen me drive by. I'm in the 05 silver tundra.

We should link up during the summer and I'll show you some spots where I've seen dogs. I don't hunt them but if you can take a few out maybe my deer can have a better chance rearing fawn's.

MrDenton said:
What's considered an incorporated city? Where I'm at i unincorporated riverside county. The blue dot is my house. c8fd335f97dbf2aa149be3cef69c5219.jpg

Oath Keeper

I live in HTC of Indian truck trail...and that's unincorporated area...

also, "California is not a traditional open carry state. Open carry is generally prohibited except in unincorporated areas where the county has not made open carry illegal"

OC has the 150 yrd rule vs 300 yards in Riverside county...

Haha some of these maps need to be shown to fish and game! Guys hunt deer like 50 to 100 yards from the homes and golf course. Oh wait they have to show up during hunting season for anyone to get tickets!!!! I've hunted those mountains my whole life and since the burn in d 11 everyone came to 15 and it has been a free for all! At least off of bedford and Indian and main divide. I've seen every law broken that you can think of. Two years ago there was guys target shooting towards the homes sighting in there rifles after their morning hunt on opening day!
Sorry for the rant but I have been calling every freaking year and have yet to see a warden.....wait I take that back I saw one coming up after shoot time on day 14 when not one person was up there.

I think that's Dustins area great warden & hunter. I'd try to meet the warden and talk to him about this some do care.......they do have a big area to cover so don't be surprised if they can't get there when you call remember they also have to chase down all the calls about "wildlife in my backyard".

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu