D-17 rabbit

Ko66

Apr 27, 2016
Has anyone hunted D-17 by Ridgecrest for rabbit or anything for that matter?

Yep.......A lot in my younger years.......Deer, chukar, quail (both Mt & valley), band-tails in the Scodie Mts/Walker Pass areas. Chukar in the Black Mts/Randsberg/Jawbone Cyn......Rabbits most anywhere & everywhere.

ilovesprig said:
Yep.......A lot in my younger years.......Deer, chukar, quail (both Mt & valley), band-tails in the Scodie Mts/Walker Pass areas. Chukar in the Black Mts/Randsberg/Jawbone Cyn......Rabbits most anywhere & everywhere.

The reason i ask is there seems to be plenty of blm land,a nd it appears to not be in a no lead zone. Ill be right outside ridgecrest not sure if that area is still good for it.

Rabbits are everywhere. Look for open areas with dense brush piles in the middle or on the edges. Typically they like to graze in the open but use the brush for quick safe cover from Wiley.

Truduct said:
Rabbits are everywhere. Look for open areas with dense brush piles in the middle or on the edges. Typically they like to graze in the open but use the brush for quick safe cover from Wiley.

Would you say first light or all day that they are out?

It's like any animal the hunting will be better the first and last hour of the day. You can get them all day long but there will be more when it is cooler especially in the summer and warmer weather.

Ko66 said:
ilovesprig said:

The reason i ask is there seems to be plenty of blm land,a nd it appears to not be in a no lead zone. Ill be right outside ridgecrest not sure if that area is still good for it.

It will all be a no lead zone soon....In fact, your rabbits & chukar will be as of July 1st (shotgun).

ilovesprig said:
Ko66 said:
ilovesprig said:

It will all be a no lead zone soon....In fact, your rabbits & chukar will be as of July 1st (shotgun).

Thanks for the heads up!

I might suggest, if you haven't already, get a copy of the upland regulations......Reading & studying it may save you a bunch of money.

ilovesprig said:
I might suggest, if you haven't already, get a copy of the upland regulations......Reading & studying it may save you a bunch of money.

I always take a gander at the rules before I go.

I went in today to purchase the Savage a17. I got 100 rounds of cci green to go with it. I need to scout my spots and i have been reading up, but a little confused. Besides the basic license, what do i need to harvest anything?

Nope, you're good to go. Upland validation needed only for birds. Rabbits just the license is fine. Don't even need the green 17 yet unless youre in a WA, that applies to shotgun hunting minus the exceptions noted in the regs. Should note though that hunting wabbits with 17hmr you'll wanna make head shots unless u want a messy ending.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

As stated previously, nothing more is needed to just hunt rabbits....To hunt upland (quail, chukar, doves, etc.) you need an Upland Validation stamp (not really a stamp anymore)....If you hunt waterfowl, you'll need a state validation duck stamp (again, not a real stamp) & a federal duck stamp.....Your HIP validation is free, but should be on your license.

Rabbits with a .17

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
And if you look at the regs you know that cottontails are out of season this month.

ilovesprig said:
As stated previously, nothing more is needed to just hunt rabbits....To hunt upland (quail, chukar, doves, etc.) you need an Upland Validation stamp (not really a stamp anymore)....If you hunt waterfowl, you'll need a state validation duck stamp (again, not a real stamp) & a federal duck stamp.....Your HIP validation is free, but should be on your license.

Rabbits with a .17

Thanks!!

TonyS said:
And if you look at the regs you know that cottontails are out of season this month.

Im going for jacks, getting my feet wet for california, coyote a little later.

I have been reading but could not find it, but are there restrictions on rimfire for magazine compacty?

Ko66 said:
I have been reading but could not find it, but are there restrictions on rimfire for magazine compacty?
No distinction between centerfire and rimfire I believe... same rule, no more than 10 in a detachable mag. Tube fed 22s are OK though. I'm like u Steve, my ol' Marlin 60 holds like 17 in the tube or something lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu