D12

Discussion in 'Open Discussion Room' started by Goyaałé, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Goyaałé

Goyaałé Active Member

Any advice on D12 archery. I've read a lot on it. I know it's tuff. I want to plan a 2 or 3 day trip out there for archery season. I haven't done any scouting. I know some will say that if i haven't scouted it's a waste of time. Not asking where. I want to go out there for the experience, and to hunt. Just want to get out and do as much hunting as i can with my AO tag. Thanks in advance.

longbowhunter2 likes this.
  2. Aeon

Aeon just a dude who duck hunts

Ok first things first, have you shot broadheads out of your bow yet? The general rule is if you can't hit a paper plate every time then it's too far. Broadheads will not fly the same as your field points.

As for d12 its a tough zone. A lot if them are nocturnal with the good rain last year they are spread out. Go hunt

Goyaałé and longbowhunter2 like this.
  3. xjon

xjon Active Member

Well, you wanting to get out and do as much as you can is a very good attitude to start with.

I tried D12 last year with a rifle. Had a great time. Didn't get to bag anything but the experience is well worth it. I did a lot of trips out there. Most camping out and some hotel when I had the lady and kids tag along.

Advice- drive around and look at your ONX maps for any public land. Then get up high on a hill or mountain and watch the deer move. If your lucky you might spot a buck that you can stalk.

Although I failed at bagging a deer, I am more excited of going back to D12 for the experience it gave me. I would like to get deeper and explore more but I think this year I will just stick to the place I know and adjust my tactics to get one.

Sdbirds and Goyaałé like this.
  4. ivhunter

ivhunter Active Member

Every time I google d12, Eminem and his band pop up :). It's a very unique zone to hunt, I love being out and just exploring. With all the rains this year, shoot this past weekend was awesome out there water poured down in seconds.

Around 10% success rate during rifle season I think. Good Luck and be careful the desert is will eat you up. Just last week a buddy from a search and rescue team found a body from a man that got lost trying to take a short cut.

longbowhunter2 and Goyaałé like this.
  5. Holster Craft

Holster Craft New Member

Take lots of water, try the washes by water. get up high and glass. good luck! There's lots of deer in that desert.

Goyaałé likes this.