D13

coyotekid87

Aug 16, 2014
D11
Hey guys, I'm planning on hunting LPNF this deer season with a buddy. Does anyone know if a D13 tag has to be entered in the lottery?

Hey kid. I don't mean to be a jerk but this question is very easily answered on the dfw web site. Seams like a visit to the web site will not only answer this question but help you plan your hunt. The Los Padres tag is also good in Cleveland and Angeles nf. Its all very clearly spelled out on the web site. You can even down load and print all the info for a particular zone on dfw's site.

You don't sound like a jerk, but I'm having trouble seeing that info on their website. It's not so "spelled" out. Everything I click on diverts me to the 2015 season, and it isn't showing me any info on lottery by zone hence my question. Figured that was the point of this forum.

you do not need to enter they drawing to get a d13 tag. lots left over in years past after the drawing.

if you are getting a tag its silly not to enter the drawing for one of the hard to get hunts that hold big deer. As a second choice put D13, so if you are unsuccessful in the draw you get your tag.

Ok thanks Aeon, I know I'm not stupid, but I wasn't finding any info on drawing info by zone. Idk maybe I missed something on their website. Just want to make sure I'm not getting fined/arrested this year lol. This will be my first ever deer hunt and I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thanks again

like i said im not trying to be a jerk I guess im just pointing out that hunting in general especially in California takes work. Much of that work is pre hunt and pre scoutning. in this day in age one must learn to use the computer and internet to gather as much info as possible. it was an easy 2second search of google that came up with all the info needed for d13. know if the question would have been " i found such and such info and im still confused as to what an unrestricted tag means" that would have been a different thing all together.

Here is the exact line I entered into google

d13 cal dfw

Here is the link to the second link down in the google results. I'm not sure how much more clearly spelled out it can get. It even says on page 3 unrestricted.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83186

Thanks GPS...I'll take note and hopefully find someone knowledgeable like you to teach me how to use a computer and internet. Then maybe next time I ask a question to such knowledgeable and prestigious folks such as yourself, in a discussion room intended for information on drawing and applications before a June 2nd deadline, I'll be able to ask in such a way that doesn't make me look like a person that has never deer hunted before or even gone through this process. Rock on

links that will help.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83603&inline

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Deer#54774-zones--hunts

Big game drawing worksheet is on page 16 of the hunting digest.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Publications/Hunting-Digest

GSP he was just asking a question. You were asking me a similar question about the draw a couple months ago. No need to be a dick... If someone needs help, just help them. The dfw website can be confusing to some, and some people aren't internet smart. I would hate for an older man like my grandpa (never been on the Internet) for example to get on here and ask a simple question then sorta be disrespected. Treat people on here how yo want to be treated man...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyotekid87 said:
Thanks Taft..seriously thou guys, I'm not stupid with the Internet. DFW'S website is wack.

I feel you on the frustrating website. Maybe I'm an idiot too but I've spent hours on that website trying to make sense of poorly worded/confusing answers.

Ask away, there are no stupid questions.

The regs in calif are not simple and we (sch as a group) do not mind answering questions. You might get a few "did you use the search feature" responses but if you are gong hunt here you need a thick skin.

Btw is the d13 tag valid in d15 and???? One other d zone again this year?

Guys, don't feel like you're the Lone Ranger when it comes to how confusing our deer regs are...They are... :-[

Until the 1980's you bought a deer tag (2, if you hunted the A zone).....You could hunt anywhere you wanted. Your only restriction was the season.....If you shot a buck in the Sierra's in September. Then you couldn't hunt San Diego in October.....Pretty simple and we had just as many deer.

Nowadays, I just buy a D-16 or A-22.....Or both, if I'm lucky...... ;D

ps......ck-87.......I always try to answer any questions someone has with a straight, honest, and sincere answer. One of the reasons I find this site so appealing is there's lots of new hunters. And at my age, helping new guys out is what's all about to me..... ;)

coyotekid87 said:
Thanks Taft..seriously thou guys, I'm not stupid with the Internet. DFW'S website is wack.
There website is f****d. Read the 2016/2017 booklet and that will help way more than any dfg website.

D16hunter said:
coyotekid87 said:
There website is f****d. Read the 2016/2017 booklet and that will help way more than any dfg website.
Same experience here. It started to make sense when I downloaded the booklet. This will be my first time buying a deer tag. I was planning on buying D11 and D14 and neither are premium. So my stupid question is what premium tag should I apply for, just to get points? If I haven't been in any of those areas? I was a bit hesitant to ask.

Thanks Sprig, and everyone else. I just wanna make sure my hunt isn't going to end in a courtroom. I'm glad forums like this exist so we can get info from the vets. Aeon, a D13 tag is good for D11 and D15 also. I was told that (G3?) Is a good premium zone to apply for to get points. Really appreciate all of the input from you guys on this thread. I figured while this discussion room is for hunt draw and app info it makes sense to discuss this for guys like me that don't know any better. 2016 being my first deer season and all...

G-3 (Goodale Hunt) is a great one to put in for.....I like X-9a (Mammoth) & X-12 (Bridgeport)....Although, I've never hunted them with those designations (pre 1986).....Lived in Bishop in the early 1980's..... ;)

Buckeye Cr./Bridgeport 1971..... ;D

Attachments

• Bridgeport Oct 1971[1].jpg
    Bridgeport Oct 1971[1].jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
Whoa! ! That's an awesome picture! How funny that back in the day, a deer bleeding in the street wasn't frowned upon lol

When purchasing a tag, do I have to specify if I'm bow hunting? Or is my standard D13 tag ok as long as I abide by the appropriate archery dates?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu