D16 Deer Hunting - Lead-free or not?

Geofish

Nov 2, 2017
San Diego
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but I'm confused and need clarification on the Lead-Free ban and if it applies now or do I have until July 1, 2019? I recently went dove hunting and it did not apply. Then we entered a WLA and it did.

That said, I do not see D-16 in the non-lead ban and interpret the chart to read 7/1/19 despite hearing from people that there is a Non-Lead van in effect.

Please help. Sorry for asking but it is confusing to me.....

Attachments

• IMG_1176.PNG
    IMG_1176.PNG
    605.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1177.PNG
    IMG_1177.PNG
    581.3 KB · Views: 15
Well might as well start with non lead now. And get prepared.
Far as San Felipe I contacted the DFW, and yes no go for D16. Google the San Felipe wild life and there is a map and regulations.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
THanks. I don't see where the SFVWA is closed west of S2. Can you steer me to the regs that state this?
93ce5cdc30cd22f5e49fac13df8a1f25.png

It used to state it on the SFVWA page under public use info I believe. Also I have some email discussions from the senior wildlife biologist mentioning it, although from 2015 (I doubt they've changed the regs there).

Basically, it's everything on the left side of S-2 is rifle (copper required)......Everything on the right side of S-2 is archery only.....The Granite Unit is on Hwy 78 and that's all archery only.

During the archery season someone shot a weapon. Had mister green jeans and sheriff's do a roadblock. Searching all Hunter's. For weapon's. Moral to this story. If hunting the non lead areas (wA) don't get caught with leaded Ammo.

To my under standing.
Dove = lead or non lead
Rabbit = non lead
Deer in NF = lead or non lead
Quail= non lead or leaded
Turkey = non lead
All state wildlife areas = non lead
NF = it depends on the game.
Steve's Quoted read and understand the DFW regulations.

The above rule's are in my opinion more zirconium laws in place by Anti Hunting Folks. And we let it happened....
This why I recommended prepare now, because if someone slip's up. Be prepared to get fined. I in my opinion it's all bullshit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: xjon and ilovesprig
You can legally have lead and non lead in your vehicle.....Where things get bad is when you change locations.....For instance, you hunt some NF or BLM for deer and you have lead.....Then you go to SFVWA.....Better not have any of that lead in your pocket.....Goes for shot shells as well.

Had a friend have it happen to him when the steel duck loads and restrictions were just coming in.....Hunted the north end of the sea (Riverside Co.) with lead.....Then went to Wister (Imperial Co.).....He had a few lead shells in his bucket.....Nice fat fine later.

Heck, it may be just better to switch to copper for at least rifles.....I know guys are saying the copper pill kills just as well.....I will shoot lead till the BITTER end for dove & quail.....lol

What about DFW leased land at IV.
For dove.? Things get sketchy.
As we know there are over zealous Mr Green jeans. Not all. But there are a few.

The story I toll above. This guy tried to find any thing.
Mr Green Jeans: Question why do you have judo or blunts tips.

My answer : it's Archery Quail Season.
Mr Green Jeans : Quote: No it is not.
Younger Mr Green Jeans. I will check it out.
Younger Mr Green Jeans: Answer yes it is.

Older Mr Green Jeans: well I smell marijuana in this vehicle.
My Answer: losing Patience. You are full of it. What you smell is pine tree and sage cuttings.
older Mr Green Jeans: are you sure you don't have any weapons.
My answer: Absolutely Not.

All my buddies are watching this episode.
They were in disbelief.
This guy was looking for any thing.

I had the regs in my truck. And know what I was talking about. Had I slipped he would of nailed me. And we are not perfect. Because like the non lead laws.
Are very confusing. And they make it that way. I wonder how many have been fined thus far and we don't hear about it.

Lee,

DFG leased fields are OK to shoot lead because the land is privately owned.....BUT, if you're shooting dove in one of those fields and a pheasant flushes, you better have steel in you're gun.

Is this dumbest thing or what!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
And just for the Record. Been checked by Mr Green Jeans .
Who were very Respectful, courteous. Checked my hunting license and tags.
And were good people. We would talk about the laws, hunting conditions . And so on. I don't blame them . It's the zirconium laws they have to follow.
And just like CHP are expected to get X # of tickets.

You can legally have lead and non lead in your vehicle.....Where things get bad is when you change locations.....For instance, you hunt some NF or BLM for deer and you have lead.....Then you go to SFVWA.....Better not have any of that lead in your pocket.....Goes for shot shells as well.

Had a friend have it happen to him when the steel duck loads and restrictions were just coming in.....Hunted the north end of the sea (Riverside Co.) with lead.....Then went to Wister (Imperial Co.).....He had a few lead shells in his bucket.....Nice fat fine later.

Heck, it may be just better to switch to copper for at least rifles.....I know guys are saying the copper pill kills just as well.....I will shoot lead till the BITTER end for dove & quail.....lol
Sorry about your buddy Steve. He should have been given a warning. But does reinforce my recommendation. And that's all it is. We have to make good choices. And really be up and up on the laws.

I'm the old days a lot of this stuff, was not even an issue. Like being in camp ground with all our hunting equipment. Now a days it's not permitted. Because we are considered as scum. And not to be trusted. Ridiculous.

Lee,

It happened many years ago.....What happens now, is guys dove & duck hunt with the same bucket.....Make sure there's no dove loads in the bottom.

And you're right, just more anti hunting BS.....Shooting non lead ain't going to save one animal.

Lee,

Thanks.....But it's mostly just being old.....lol.....I've been fortunate on some of these same mistakes.....My encounters in the old days with wardens (with the exception of one) have always been good, when they could've whacked me for minor stuff.....Not so sure that would happen these days.

Decided to get a jump on it and loaded some Barnes 110 TTSX for my daughter and then the Barnes 129 LRX for myself (both 270wsm). I decided to carry my daughters gun one day, as I was more interested in the performance of that particular setup, and did take a nice buck. Gotta tell ye, VERY impressed as it was about 300 yards, one shot - bang-flop! Pencil in and golf ball out with a bunch of internal damage...without too much bloodshot. Buck was quartering away, hit it about five ribs back and came out right behind the far side shoulder.
On another note, after playing with the load and seating depth, I have never shot such tight groups with ANY factory lead ammo (mostly Winchester Accubonds). NOTE: with copper, fast is good and faster is REAL good! I do have this round going about 3520fps
Long story short...just go with the copper, they perform well!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ok......You've sold me......lol

Is there a factory copper load for .243......My concern is, the lead we shoot now is only 90 grs (Federal Fusion).....How light is copper?.....And is it ballistically capable of killing a deer?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu