D16 Deer Hunting - Lead-free or not?

Wow DeerDon And Xjon good stuff. I was reading the Barnes Data on the 243 TTSX and TSX and the recommended loads , COAL, BC, and Density. How much has your actual vs what Barnes recommends differ. All good stuff and very much appreciated. Now I have to get my beak wet and actually do this. I guess the factory stuff Is loosey goosey.
Loosey goosey is correct for a reason- to fit all rifles chambers. So the standard to figure out factory rounds to use is to buy a few different boxes and see what your rifle likes then buy more of the same lot numbers.

In regards to loading myself I don't go by manufacturers recs in seating. I look at maximum length for my rifle (at lands) and magazine fitment. If it doesn't fit in magazine-no sense in figuring out how it works with long seating (talking hunting here). Then I will load several rounds with different seating depths and see how my rifle likes the jump. Have loads with .002- .040 jump.

BTW this I do after I have chosen powder charge and also looking for pressure signs with changes in seating.

For measurement I use the hornady bullet comparator gauge which measures from ogive vs tip of bullet.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Loosey goosey is correct for a reason- to fit all rifles chambers. So the standard to figure out factory rounds to use is to buy a few different boxes and see what your rifle likes then buy more of the same lot numbers.

In regards to loading myself I don't go by manufacturers recs in seating. I look at maximum length for my rifle (at lands) and magazine fitment. If it doesn't fit in magazine-no sense in figuring out how it works with long seating (talking hunting here). Then I will load several rounds with different seating depths and see how my rifle likes the jump. Have loads with .002- .040 jump.

BTW this I do after I have chosen powder charge and also looking for pressure signs with changes in seating.

For measurement I use the hornady bullet comparator gauge which measures from ogive vs tip of bullet.
Hi Xjon I am carefully reading your tips. And very important lessons learned. And continuous improvement. Pressure changes on the cartridge is a big one.

I am amazed in the fact the factory loads are so loose. I am floored. It makes totally sense why it's not as accurate. I should have been paying attention to this year's ago.

View attachment 33563
View attachment 33564
Reloads up top and factory below.
View attachment 33565

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if I sound noobie. I shoot a Winchester Model 70(pre64) 30-06. I was using Core Lokt 180 grain. I went to Wally-World and all they had was Federal Power Shok Copper in 150 grain. Though reluctant to drop down to 150grain, I thought my MV would jump giving me a flatter trajectory.

Now I'm zeroed at 100 yards. That said, what is your take on the Factory Powershok Copper? I see a lot of you guys are Barnes guys. Any thoughts? Recommendations for factory loads?

Also, any idea of my barrel twist? I was wondering if a modern rifle might be more accurate. Not sure if a newer rifle has more barrel twists than 1954?????

Sorry if I sound noobie. I shoot a Winchester Model 70(pre64) 30-06. I was using Core Lokt 180 grain. I went to Wally-World and all they had was Federal Power Shok Copper in 150 grain. Though reluctant to drop down to 150grain, I thought my MV would jump giving me a flatter trajectory.

Now I'm zeroed at 100 yards. That said, what is your take on the Factory Powershok Copper? I see a lot of you guys are Barnes guys. Any thoughts? Recommendations for factory loads?

Also, any idea of my barrel twist? I was wondering if a modern rifle might be more accurate. Not sure if a newer rifle has more barrel twists than 1954?????

Pretty sure you have a 1:10 twist rate. Going to copper you needed to go down in weight anyways. The 150 grain bullet should perform very well. Federal Copper, Barnes Vortex...both good ammo, and I believe they are both right at 2,900fps. Although pricey, Doubletap ammo is good stuff too. They tend to load their ammo a little hotter (3,077fps) and use Barnes bullets. I wish the manufacturers would sell sample packs (6 shots) of their stuff so you didn't have to purchase a whole box to find out how well it did in your rifle.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu