Deer hunting ethics

paulfishes

Dec 12, 2012
My wife and I were hiking around scouting deer. We found a pop up blind with salt licks out front. The blind has two shovels around it, and the hill side has been dug out, to make a level foundation.

This is on public property. I guess if you want to risk having your blind stolen, that's one thing, but digging out a floor, and setting up salt licks 20 yards from the blind seems cheesy, and illegal. (Baiting deer, altering landscape)

The blind looks in excellent shape. It has not been up all summer. Cobwebs inside, but small amount of leaf litter on top.

What is the census on what to do? Call a warden and have them bust the guy? Remove the blind and put the earth back and remove the salt lick? Turn a blind eye? I'm not interested in confronting a guy with a gun, when I have a gun. Not worth a CNN headline.

One salt lick was well used up, half way. The other one looked very new. White bricks wound with bailing wire so they could not be moved by the deer.

Tough one.....I don't think it's illegal to have a pop-up on public land. And just because it's up now, doesn't mean the guy (or gal) is hunting. Maybe they're wildlife photographers....Any kind of deer hunting is still 2 weeks away.

The salt blocks are not illegal, with cattle are on the property (lots of them on MCC, but it is private).....Any bait (includes salt) must be removed 10 days before the season or before someone can hunt there.....I think there's also a law about feeding big game at any time (pretty gray tho).....This is where your DFW rep would help in the determination.

DFW code...
§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.
Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

• (a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
  • (b) Exceptions:
    • (1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;
    • (2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;
    • (3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown.
  • In addition, intentional acts that disrupt any birds' or mammals' normal behavior patterns (CCR T14, section 251.1) as well as feeding big game mammals (CCR T14, section 251.3) are prohibited

I don't see the issue with the blind I don't know any hunters that don't alter the landscape a little. Pruning bushes, building ground blinds, putting up tree stands etc. Leaving a pop up blind on public land is risky business. I definitely wouldn't take it down it's not your property no different to me than a tree stand in my book.

Only issue would be the licks and like Steve said they just need to take them out soon.

My opinion if you are hunting a public spot for deer that someone is capable of carrying a ground blind into you are not getting far enough from the truck. There won't be any deer. Exception would be laguna.

I say go find your own spot leave the guys stuff alone. No need to touch there stuff or call anyone in my opinion. Lot of forest out there he or she beat you to the area. look for signs of human traffic or cars parked near by before entering the area if they beat you to it in the morning of a hunt do not tromp through it if you see they are in there turn back go out and around the area try new location.

Call DFG. The individuals could be poaching.
If they are on public land how could they be poaching. Everyone knows that if you are going to use a ground blind you need to set it up at least a week before season so the animals get use to it. They are not doing anything illegal all you are going to do is get a green jeans in your area Sept 2 screwing up every ones archery hunt.

If they are on public land how could they be poaching. Everyone knows that if you are going to use a ground blind you need to set it up at least a week before season so the animals get use to it. They are not doing anything illegal all you are going to do is get a green jeans in your area Sept 2 screwing up every ones archery hunt.

In reference to the bigger picture of salt blocks in front of it and the blind being set up. I understand that setting a blind up prior to the season is adventitious. What if that individual is taking game out of season? Pretty sure that meets the definition of poaching. I understand that there can be a lot of speculation on the internet and unanswered questions. What does it hurt? The "green Jeans"? I have met a few Wardens and they all have been cordial and had the best intentions. Sorry to disagree with you.

Reactions: Gspman
GET BACK IN THERE NOW!!!! Grab the blind the shovels the salt. Get all items to me asap my friends have the capability to melt everything so it can't be used again in such a criminal way

I see some blind on mount laguna area 100 yds away from the road, I never steal something that is not mine, i see the mineral licks too, I see and old grandpa and a kid working in that area when I scouting before is not the first time i find mineral licks in the area.
I think that stuff is not working in san diego area.
on the right side of the blind is a trail camera too.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu