Deer scat or not?

Capt.bones

Sep 15, 2015
San Diego, CA
Went out scouting today. No deer. Lots of sign, tracks, food, and what I think is a bedding area and lots of this scat around. Looks like coyote but has seeds or something in there. I'm not sure. I've tried looking at mule deer scat on google. And I may have found something that looks like it. But then I found lots of these red clumpy seedy scat. Anyone have experience. Did spook a covey of about 20 quail. Pretty cool. Video may not have turned out great. Thanks guys. Beautiful day out. 20170731_062349.jpg 20170731_084644.jpg 20170731_083147.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
deer, coyote, coyote

sometimes yote poo can have lots of goodies in it. sometimes looks like other critters. like coons and so on

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NBK
Cool find....Looks and sounds like a game rich area.

The 1st pic scat is fresh & old deer. The 2nd pic is coyote with manzanita or juniper berries.....Smaller scat could be fox as well in the 3rd pic.

ps....The old sign the more I look at it could be rabbit....Really round, unlike deer, that is oval.

Last edited:
Let me run in the backyard and grab a pic of mule deer poo.

That first pic is so cal jackalope poo. Also known as the 75 lb spork.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Deer, coyote, fox. But the fox would be more convincing if it was on a rock. I don't know what it is with those critters and pooping on rocks, but they sure do like to do it.

Cool find....Looks and sounds like a game rich area.

The 1st pic scat is fresh & old deer. The 2nd pic is coyote with manzanita or juniper berries.....Smaller scat could be fox as well in the 3rd pic.

ps....The old sign the more I look at it could be rabbit....Really round, unlike deer, that is oval.

Ok. Ya I saw some of that fox poo on a cactus pettle on the trail. Purposely pooed on a cactus. So deer and jacks poo are very similar except for rabbits are more round and deer more oval? Same size though? Thanks buddy.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu