dehydrator or smoker for jerky?

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Anyone have a favorite way to make jerky? I'm planning to make some this year. I have a Green Mountain Grills pellet smoker and I can dry strips out pretty well hot smoking at low temps, but I'm just wondering whether a dehydrator is really worth the additional investment or if I can make jerky with my existing grills, smokers, ovens, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks Drew. Great price too. Do the racks fit in a dishwasher? How even is the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i use all the racks I rotate midway so the bottom racks are on top. As long as you don't overload the racks so the air can circulate it works great. Bought a book "The Dehydrator Bible". It takes a lot of the guesswork out.

Reactions: Bonejour
Thanks Drew. Here is a great comparison review, and they liked the Nesco. Looks like none of the options has trays that can be washed in a dishwasher. The Nesco has nearly as much tray space with the extra trays (12') as the Excalibur (15'), and gets 4+ ratings at only a quarter the price. Looks like I found my next birthday present. ;)
http://bestreviews.com/best-dehydrators

I use a smoker for alot of things and cant go with out one, It makes great jerky when you nail it. but I usually over cook it a little and its ruined. I am picking up a nesco this week. Every game processor should own both. From my taste comparisons I say dehydrator makes the best jerky.

Reactions: Bonejour
We use the stove at low heat on racks. I have taken note to try a dehydrator in the future. My wife uses an old family recipe. It doe not last. Gone quick.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu