Descanso Hogs/Mule Deer scouting

sisyphus89

Feb 11, 2024
Good evening. I’m new to the San Diego area and am looking to scout for some mule deer and maybe fill a wild hog tag in the mean time.

According to some of the info on the Cleveland National website there are a couple areas in the Descanso ranger district that may have some potential sites for hogs. Has anybody here hunted that area?

I appreciate any advice on finding some hogs on public land or possibly where I could start scouting for public land mulies. I’m not afraid of putting the work in just trying to get a lay of the land. Thanks again!

Welcome to SCH,

There was an eradication program that literally killed all pigs in our county...I think someone said the that last one was killed/died last year....Bottom line concentrate on your deer scouting.

While your out there, scout for turkeys the spring season opens March 30th...Good way to find deer areas too.

You may want to attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up next Saturday (Feb. 24th)...Fish & wildlife wardens and personnel will be there...Along with Cleveland NF biologists, lots of other like minded vendors and folks that may be able to help you out........ :blush:

Reactions: sisyphus89
Welcome to SCH,

There was an eradication program that literally killed all pigs in our county...I think someone said the that last one was killed/died last year....Bottom line concentrate on your deer scouting.

While your out there, scout for turkeys the spring season opens March 30th...Good way to find deer areas too.

You may want to attend the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up next Saturday (Feb. 24th)...Fish & wildlife wardens and personnel will be there...Along with Cleveland NF biologists, lots of other like minded vendors and folks that may be able to help you out........ :blush:
Awesome thank you for all the information. Too bad about the hogs but leaves more time to scout for deer. I will definitely come to the tune up. Sounds like a lot of great resources. Anything we need to bring to the tune up? Thanks again!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Awesome thank you for all the information. Too bad about the hogs but leaves more time to scout for deer. I will definitely come to the tune up. Sounds like a lot of great resources. Anything we need to bring to the tune up? Thanks again!

Nothing much...Your hunting license and cash...The City of San Diego only takes cash or check...Some of the vendors do have PayPal, etc...See you there...... :sun:

Reactions: sisyphus89

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu