Dove hunting after storm?

ramonallones

Sep 8, 2016
Had a great time at the opener in the IV this year. Our first time at opening day. Planning to go back this upcoming weekend (sept 9) but I noticed on the weather report, 40 percent chance of thunderstorms on Friday.

Can anyone give me feedback on what to expect dovewise the day after a thunderstorm? I assume that means the hunting will suck? just wondering before we invest a couple days and 6 hours of driving.

TIA for any help.

in my past hunts in the valley over the years the next day after a good storm the majority of whats left in the valley leaves and heads south. another thing to keep in mind are the dirt roads, they turn into a giant slip and slide, gets pretty scary paralleling a ditch bank or canal. i found out my jeep doesn't float too well.

Less birds around today than the opener but enough for 2 of us to get 30 and a bunch of euros. I wouldn't hesitate to go but be prepared to move if the birds have left your spot.

Less birds around today than the opener but enough for 2 of us to get 30 and a bunch of euros. I wouldn't hesitate to go but be prepared to move if the birds have left your spot.

Good work Jeff......And mourning doves are not usually effected by rain much.....High winds much worse.

Reactions: Big Jim
Cool Tks for the feedback guys, decided to skip today. A shame we are only gonna be able to get out once in these two weeks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu