Duck hunting Northern California

BudMiyamoto

Aug 8, 2018
I got invited to go duck hunting bring up in not cal I am planning on going in mid December. Any tips on gear or clothing I should get? I never been duck hunter bring before so I’m totally new to it. Pretty sure it will be cold.

I got invited to go duck hunting bring up in not cal I am planning on going in mid December. Any tips on gear or clothing I should get? I never been duck hunter bring before so I’m totally new to it. Pretty sure it will be cold.

Breathable waders and just layer up under neath depending on the weather. Some type of a water proof Jacket depending on weather, and gloves. Face paint or a mask as well.

X2 on the breathables.. I like my Cabela's. Hot weather I wear boardshorts underneath, in chilly weather maybe jeans, and the occasional 27 degree morning in the Sea I may throw on some thermal underlayers.

Other than that, you'll need a state and federal duck stamp, shotgun, and steel shot (I usually shoot Kent Fasteel #3). I assume your buddy will handle the decoys and calling. Maybe throw in a face mask depending on your blind concealment.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I not duck hunter, but I am outdoorsmen and depending on the area. You say northern California. Well it will be possible cold freezing.
Good thermals, extra warm glove,
Weather wind proof jacket. Zippo style hand warmer.(it's a lifesaver)
Water proof boots and waters as said before. Main point stay dry, stay warm. Freezing weather will ruin your day if not prepared. And if it's fair weather. Just don't wear it. But you have if you need it.
Best
Longbow
P.S. wool or wool blend socks and gear would be the cat's meow.

Getting me a zippo this year! Those 40’degree mornings are cold. But like others have said layers are a life saver and I did not spend a ton on mine. So shop around for the base layers. There are many new wool blends that are good and no that expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Some more useful items I forgot.. Thermacell/bug spray and The LeMaster Method waterfowl ID book. Gotta know what ducks you're shooting at.
aee9ef9c043d50b9a2409279374fdbd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu