• No, it never worked

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I am considering trying it during the AZ OTC season this winter but I am worried about scaring them off. Since I hunt a very low density unit I'd really prefer not spooking them. I have called in a doe before unintentionally. I was calf calling for elk in UT and a doe came in stomping.

Whats your experience been like? I realize this is an unconventional tactic but I am bored and would love to hear some input.

I have rattled in a D16 buck a few years back. It was an amazing experience. The buck came in pissed off and ready to kick some butt. He ran in with reckless abandon. He was a nice wide forky. I will try and find the photo.

Reactions: 180ls1
I have rattled in a D16 buck a few years back. It was an amazing experience. The buck came in pissed off and ready to kick some butt. He ran in with reckless abandon. He was a nice wide forky. I will try and find the photo.

Nice! Post it up if you have it! Was he rutted up? I assume it would be better to try in the rut, maybe not? Do you still rattle for them?

Nice! Post it up if you have it! Was he rutted up? I assume it would be better to try in the rut, maybe not? Do you still rattle for them?

My friend Rusty shot the deer. If he would have hesitated, I was postured to do the deed. He was a nice D16 buck. I rattled him in with a set of antlers off of my first D16 buck I had shot many years ago.

They only come in to D16 antlers! ;)

P1050989.JPGP1050999.JPGP1050986.JPG

I haven't called a buck in, but I did use a predator call once...I had a friend that was farming tomatoes & strawberries in Rancho Santa Fe....The deer were playing havoc with them...Behind the fields was a small canyon....I stood over the top of it and let loose with the wounded rabbit....Sure enough, right below us 2 does and a buck stood up....Teddy and I double tapped him.... :dizzy:

ps...The picture is for effect....:joy:

pss...This buck is actually Ted's dads buck from Colorado...41" wide...:scream:

ted's buck ll.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu