Family Trip to the Redwoods ! A zone !

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
My wife and kids are up in a cabin in the Redwoods for two weeks on an annual trip with her family. There are 4 family’s with a total of 14 kids. They play in the Eel river on kayak’s, rope swings, fishing, and jumping rocks. It is right in the heart of the big trees with the drive through tree just a few miles away. With work, I can’t go that long so I flew up to Sacramento and rented a car and drove another 4 hours North to meet them for 4 days. The cabins are in the A zone so of course I snuck my bow into my wife’s car before she left. The trip is a family trip not a hunting trip so I promised to only go out once. It was only a half ass attempt to get out in the woods with my bow and I didn’t see anything. It was the most northern part of the A zone you can get. If I crossed the street it was a B zone. Her uncles hunted those parts for decades and shot many bucks, ( I’ve seen the old photo’s), but now the area has been taken over by the pot farmers and it’s just not safe to walk the woods. 5 years ago her cousin was hunting and had an armed standoff in the woods with one. The Hippie backed down and her cousin went on hunting only to have 10+ growers show up at their cabin a few hours later when they spotted his red jeep. Your kids with angry armed pot farmers is not a good vacation so they don’t hunt up there anymore. And they say the pot farmers shoot all deer on site, so that would explain the total lack of deer these days.

I stopped at a little sporting goods store in Willits and was so excited to find they had 22 ammo for sale I bought it right away as if I was afraid someone was going to beat me to it. Then quickly realize I couldn’t take it on the plane and ask to return it. LOL Can’t believe I did that. On my drive back down south to the airport I spotted 14 elk and 6 does from the road. All in all it was a great family trip.

Check out the picture of the motorcycle that passed me on the road.

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture .... those are elk.

Attachments

• IMAG0498.jpg
    IMAG0498.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0492.jpg
    IMAG0492.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0501.jpg
    IMAG0501.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
Re: Family Trip to the Redwoods !

One more. These are Elk. Two were bulls in velvet.

Attachments

• IMAG0527.jpg
    IMAG0527.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 18
I have concluded that no one ever reads posts in camping section. Lol.

I read it a few days ago but didn't post :D. Looks like a cool place, haven't seen the redwoods since I was a kid.

That sounds like a good time Jim. And glad you were able to get the now out for a day.

BTW: you can fly with 11 pounds of ammo in your check back. True story!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu