Field bred Golden Retrievers

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi,

My wife and I are ready for our first dog. She really wants a Golden Retriever which is fine by me since I can get a new hunting buddy out of it! I am hoping to surprise her with a puppy for her bday in May. Most breeders in my area (Orange County) are breeding show quality dogs and since my dog will simply be a companion/part time hunting dog, it was recommended that I look into Field Bred Goldens. I guess field bred goldens come from hunting blood lines, have shorter hair, etc. Problem is I can't seem to find any field bred Golden breeders somewhat close to home.

Does anyone know of a field bred Golden breeder in the Southern California area?

Thanks!
-Brian

In all the years we have been training we've never seen a field bred golden. Not saying they don't exist but it certainly is rare. Truduct's suggestion is where I would start, if you cant find what you want look into the North American Versatile Hunting dog Association (NAVHDA) and the breeds they recognize you might find a breed there that everyone would be happy with.

or just get a lab..........black of course

you could get a yellow lab since they mix golden DNA into the lab dna to make them yellow

Or a mut from the pound with a sh&t ton of prey drive.

.IMG_0776.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Or a Small Munsterlander because they are just damn cool and awesome bird dogs!
Can.JPG

Or get a Weim they are great at laying on bed and couches. She picks up and finds birds in her free time. Only bird dog with a hello kitty collar next to her shock collar. Really has a tough life. Sorry for jacking your thread.

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

Oh and don't forget they will roll on whatever you don't want them to and they will find that thing no matter where you are just because it's what they do.

IMG_2730.JPG

Last edited:
My first dog was a golden from hunting back ground. He was the best duck dog. He was just like a lab, sit quietly until told to do something. Then retrieved like mad. But I'd never have another one. The coat was horrible to clean after a day out.

And this is an oddity. A pet store Golden that actually likes birds and guns. This is Rusty and we trained with him this weekend. He did very well for only his second or third time out.
15369296_601929236666135_3595636944247628248_o.jpg

Goldens will hunt.......Just need to be trained.......San Diego Bay, 1976 with Cal's sisters golden.

.san diego 1976.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu