First Coyote... for me

rbduffer

Dec 15, 2014
Fallbrook
I got my first song dog last week, it took me that long to find time to post the pics.

The quick story is D16, 6pm, 200yd chest shot, DRT, Savage .223, 40gr Vmax.

The disco version is that my friend and I were hunting cottons when we heard the cries of 3 or 4 coyotes having a meal about 500 yds away. I happened to bring my .223 for long distance fun and my friend would take care of anything within 100yds. When we heard the dogs, I smiled, as he knew that he was playing spotter. We moved 200 yds towards where the sounds came from and took cover in a gully with trees covering our outlines. We had 180yds of open field to the next tree lined gully that hid the coyotes. I always keep a reed call in my pack and put it to use, sounding something between distressed cotton or pup or....who knows what? After just a minute, a large dog came into sight on the far right at 240yds just cruising. I'd call he would stop, I'd get behind the scope, he would move again. I let this happen 3 times until he was over the hill out of site. While I'm cussing my sloth like speed, I hear "there's one on the left." I swing my pack around to reset my rifle, make one more call as this younger one is coming in slowly from 220yds looking right our way. At 200 yds, bang, flop. The Vmax liquefied the pump house. A quick high 5 and hike to the truck before dark.

The skinning went well, I'll let you know how the tanning goes.

IMG_20171005_182534.jpg IMG_20171005_182556.jpg

Sorry 'bout the photos, I will learn to crop better.

nice job calling them in and bagging one. congrats on first!

Thank You, the herd needs it. I will try and do my part after this deer season, my zone really needs it. Congrats, it's always a rush hunting them killing machines

Nice! Are you going to euro the skull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I decided not to take the skull this time, I'm focusing on my first pelt and hoping to get a bigger coyote for a skull.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

BTW I'm using a homemade oak bark tanning solution. We'll see in a couple weeks how it turns out.

I decided not to take the skull this time, I'm focusing on my first pelt and hoping to get a bigger coyote for a skull.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

BTW I'm using a homemade oak bark tanning solution. We'll see in a couple weeks how it turns out.

Very nice! Side note, love the stock on your .223, is it custom?

No, it's Boyd's thumb hole laminate. $120. It's really a target stock, the thumb hole is a bit awkward in the field sometimes but I like it.

Update: I could not find a taxidermist near Fallbrook to 'tan my hide'o_O So I fleshed, salted and froze it until I found an Interweb method using boiled oak bark. After thawing, more fleshing and soaking for 3 weeks, I pulled it out to dry. But big chunks of fur come off when I work the skin. It will finish drying today, but it's not looking good.
I gotta find a tanner near by and then get me 'nother Coyote.

I use ed @bowhunter here on the site he does great work. He lives in AZ but comes to SD every couple months and picks stuff up then ships it back to SD. He did a coyote, a few euros, and a full shoulder mount for me. All look great. Shoot him a PM.
Also it’s always proper to have a head, hide, or something dead in our freezers. Lol.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu