First Rabbit

benelli12

May 25, 2016
Got my first rabbit today! Only one. Had several missed opportunities, but that's how you learn. Overall a good day out!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 32
Get it cleaned (easy) then soak it in brine overnight. You are in for some great eatin.

B-12,

Great going on that 1st rabbit......Congrats

ps.....Don't forget that shooting rabbits with a shotgun, steel shot is required.

Way to get it done. Rabbit hunting is a good time doesn't matter how old you are. Kind of reminds me of bluegill fishing it's just fun to catch or shoot something no matter the size. I haven't brined mine before but I am going to try it. I just season mine and cut the rib cage all the way to the throat so it will lay flat on the BBQ. Rabbit is always fun at a party everyone was loving it last night.

#4 might be a little excessive I use #6 or even 7 1/2. I guess one plus to #4 would be less pellets, but I have to imagine it will do a number on your meat. I am thinking about switching to 410 for rabbit just to reduce the pellets. Jut got a 22mag/410 over under that I can't wait to try out.

Thanks Truduct!

Most people I have heard use #6 on rabbits. But I have always heard that you need to drop down 2 when switching from lead to steel. That's why I picked up #4. Would you recommend I use #6 steel anyways?

I got one with 7 1/2 on season opener and he went down like a rock. I'm a total novice though, so I'm not sure my experience should count for anything :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

HuggyBear15 said:
I got one with 7 1/2 on season opener and he went down like a rock. I'm a total novice though, so I'm not sure my experience should count for anything :)

7 1/2's will kill them just fine as long as they're close enough.

ps......By the way, they don't make steel in 7 1/2's.....wink.gif

Hmmm! I may have my wires crossed then; I'll check the box when I get home. It's definitely steel though, as I was specifically looking for that when I bought it. Winchester Xtreme high velocity steel shot, but I may be remembering the size wrong :-/

Steel 7's yes, steel 7 1/2's no.

HB 15......I'm sure you're OK......Wal-Mart sells those Winchester Xpert Steel 7's. for $5.46.....Best price going on steel upland loads.

Doh! Egg on face :-/ Yep, they're 7's. http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/Winchester-super-x-xpert-12-gauge-steel-shot-game-target-loads/0320133080214/_/A-5479324?_D%3Asearch=+&_D%3AsiteScope=+&_DARGS=%2Fstore%2Fcartridges%2FSearchBox%2FSearchBox.jsp&_dyncharset=UTF-8&siteScope=ok#.V3xqkd76vIU

Easy mistake with all this required steel stuff starting to be put into effect.....And I'm sorry for harping on these new regulations non stop.....Just don't want anyone getting a citation that could be avoided.

ilovesprig said:
Easy mistake with all this required steel stuff starting to be put into effect.....And I'm sorry for harping on these new regulations non stop.....Just don't want anyone getting a citation that could be avoided.
I appreciate the harping on the regs! I'm very new to this and don't want to get written up.

Sadly, it's not just new hunters.....Many of us old guys are so used to shooting lead, I'm sure some will make the mistake of having lead on them by mistake..... Heard there were a number of "C's" written on wildlife areas last year. Where steel is required for doves already.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu