First Rabbit

ilovesprig said:
Heard there were a number of "C's" written on wildlife areas last year. Where steel is required for doves already.

Bummer :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hit another cottontail yesterday with steel 7 and, to my dismay, this one did not stay down. I had to shoot the poor thing a second time to end its suffering.

I'll be switching to 6 to get a little more punch, and to reduce the likelihood that my mistakes will cause one of these creatures similar suffering.

I post this in case any fellow noobs stumble upon this thread while trying to decide what ammo to get for rabbits.

I hit another cottontail yesterday with steel 7 and, to my dismay, this one did not stay down. I had to shoot the poor thing a second time to end its suffering.

I'll be switching to 6 to get a little more punch, and to reduce the likelihood that my mistakes will cause one of these creatures similar suffering.

I post this in case any fellow noobs stumble upon this thread while trying to decide what ammo to get for rabbits.

What choke Are you using? I've had no problems yet

Rabbits die easily like most prey animals (small heart, soft fur).......But, like most animals in general, they will try to get away......Always try to hit them in the front half.

What choke Are you using? I've had no problems yet
I'm using a modified choke. The gun and shot did its job I'm sure, I just didn't do mine. I must have been a few yards (2 or 3?) farther than I'd estimated and it made a big difference. A lot of the pellets had gotten through the hide, but barely, and caused no real damage.

I'm as green as they come with all this, so maybe no one else will have similar estimation issues; regardless, I figure I'll give the 6 a go, to hopefully get a little bit more margin for error.

Rabbits die easily like most prey animals (small heart, soft fur).......But, like most animals in general, they will try to get away......Always try to hit them in the front half.
Understood and will do, thank you!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu