Fly Fishing

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
Anybody know of any local mountain trout fly fishing areas? I'm located in Riverside Ca. Any areas in Angeles national Forest, San Bernardino national forest? I'm not wanting anybody's favorite or secret spots, just a general idea of where to go and then I'll do the rest of the leg work.

There are a number of creeks and ponds in the Angeles and San Bernadino National Forest. I have explored a handful. To find them I use this site from DFG
https://map.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/

and this book, which is getting kind of old
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Fishing-Southern-California/dp/0971281408

There's a guy I work with that has a few spots he likes to go. Pretty sure he said Azusa Canyon area. I'll ask him next week.

Oath Keeper

You may not want to limit yourself to just trout with your fly fishing equipment here in SoCal......Big bluegill in the spring can be great. And many of the local lakes and city ponds have them.

Most any white fly, spider, or mosquito pattern works....... ;)

ilovesprig said:
You may not want to limit yourself to just trout with your fly fishing equipment here in SoCal......Big bluegill in the spring can be great. And many of the local lakes and city ponds have them.

Fly fishing for bluegills is methadone; but really fun. They pull hard on a little 3 wt. I also have a 9 wt I use in the surf and bays. Try catching a halibut or ray on the fly and you not look at an 8" trout the same.

But drifting a caddis over the surface film will always be the ultimate.

msteiger said:
ilovesprig said:

Amen brother............... ;)

Fly fishing for bluegills is methadone; but really fun. They pull hard on a little 3 wt. I also have a 9 wt I use in the surf and bays. Try catching a halibut or ray on the fly and you not look at an 8" trout the same.

But drifting a caddis over the surface film will always be the ultimate.

Attachments

• montana 2012 fishing 062.JPG
    montana 2012 fishing 062.JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 55
Bounced an egg pattern down the rocks next to an undercut...life changing event. b6c387e2608eafcf51a66409b5513771.jpg

Oath Keeper

I always did pretty good fly fishing cuyamaca. float tubed and drifted a black marabou.

Socal if you float tube Jenks Lake in Big Bear is a great lake to fly fish when it opens!

link=topic=7162.msg55181#msg55181 date=1421458872]
Anybody know of any local mountain trout fly fishing areas? I'm located in Riverside Ca. Any areas in Angeles national Forest, San Bernardino national forest? I'm not wanting anybody's favorite or secret spots, just a general idea of where to go and then I'll do the rest of the leg work.
[/quote]

MrDenton said:
Bounced an egg pattern down the rocks next to an undercut...life changing event. b6c387e2608eafcf51a66409b5513771.jpg

Oath Keeper

That's a hell of a hook jaw.......Love big browns....... ;)

Attachments

• b6c387e2608eafcf51a66409b5513771.jpg
    b6c387e2608eafcf51a66409b5513771.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0
You are very close to some great trout fishing if you live in Riverside.

Check out the North Fork of the Santa Ana river

there are wild browns as well as planted rainbows

and they eat the fly very well…

the area in azusa is the San Gabriel River

Do a google or you tube search for either one to get more info

As far as the NF Santa Ana I typically fish the area around 7 oaks road, BH hairs ear or a dry dropper

there are some nice fish in there but a short 0-3 wt is perfect…

another area i use to frequent was deep creek behind arrowhead, good wild trout fishing but I haven't been up there in a while, with the drought it may be tough and the fish will be weak

another spot is the creek leading into Silverwood lake, more of a salmon egg or small panther martin creek but you can get them on a fly from time to time

if you need anymore info just PM me or text me 5623058125 Jeff

and please report back. I love fishing the Santa Ana in shorts in the winter!

Matagi said:
I always did pretty good fly fishing cuyamaca. float tubed and drifted a black marabou.

Agreed I dont fly fish but I was there last night and they were jumping everywhere. A little tip keep it close to the shore they like the shallow water right now for some reason. I might buy some live crickets and go try them with the boys there was a lot of top water activity for sure.

CaptJgray said:
You are very close to some great trout fishing if you live in Riverside.

Check out the North Fork of the Santa Ana river

there are wild browns as well as planted rainbows

and they eat the fly very well…

the area in azusa is the San Gabriel River

Do a google or you tube search for either one to get more info

As far as the NF Santa Ana I typically fish the area around 7 oaks road, BH hairs ear or a dry dropper

there are some nice fish in there but a short 0-3 wt is perfect…

another area i use to frequent was deep creek behind arrowhead, good wild trout fishing but I haven't been up there in a while, with the drought it may be tough and the fish will be weak

another spot is the creek leading into Silverwood lake, more of a salmon egg or small panther martin creek but you can get them on a fly from time to time

if you need anymore info just PM me or text me 5623058125 Jeff

and please report back. I love fishing the Santa Ana in shorts in the winter!

I was hoping to fish deep creek this weekend but i have other plans in the way.

That creek you are talking about leading into silverwood, is that in cleghorn canyon? If so, it was off da hook a couple weeks ago, and dead the next day
3896E7AA-990F-4C1E-A2E5-D7FC29FEE7A5_zpsmnbnbtqa.jpg

Attachments

• 3896E7AA-990F-4C1E-A2E5-D7FC29FEE7A5_zpsmnbnbtqa.jpg
    3896E7AA-990F-4C1E-A2E5-D7FC29FEE7A5_zpsmnbnbtqa.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 0

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu