Fricken Frustration #*$@#&$*#!!!!!...... But still had some fun......

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Well, took the kiddo out for youth Season opener Saturday. Both of us were pretty excited, hoping for him to get his second turkey ever. We headed up into the hills, and got there 30 minutes early. We were hunting a small patch of land, unfortunately right by the road, but hey, it has birds. I drove to the far side of the area, and not a single car to be seen. Sweet I thought, and as soon as I opened the car door, I hear a gobble only 150 yards away. Awesome!

Get the kiddo out in a hurry, got everything together, and slide down into a little meadow maybe 100 +/- yards from where the birds were. And, to top it off, hear another gobble that sounds like it's another bird in a second tree apart from the first. So we got set up, threw out a decoy and hid ourselves. I told my son that it was dark with the cloud cover, and that may delay their flydown, but they SHOULD work in this direction. We were excited. Sat for about 15 minutes, and saw one car drive by. Now, you can shoot according to what I found, at 6:15 legally. I lost the car in the trees looping around the road behind the roost tree, so I can't say if it stopped or not. However, at 6:13, BOOM!!!!!!!!! Followed 10 seconds later by a second BOOM!!!!!!! That's followed by a sprinkle of BB's falling all around us, as well as birds flying out of the roost, and what may have been wings flapping on the ground. I couldn't believe someone had just shot the damn birds out of the roost, in my opinion a couple minutes early, and when I couldn't even identify much out to 20 yards because it was dark from cloud cover, let alone tell if it had a beard. As I am sitting there nervously, in disbelief, a third BOOM!!!!! 3 minutes later. Even after that, I hear a damn gobble responding to the 3rd shot.

I was pissed, to say the least, and a tad nervous. If someone is walking in the woods looking for a wounded bird, pops out where we were and sees the decoy in the low light, we are directly on the other side of it. My son was nervous too, so after a few choice words under my breath, we picked up and moved 200 yards further away to a second meadow, with enough cushion we'd see the guy coming, but still close enough for that bird that was still gobbling. I threw out a decoy again, and we sat trying to settle down. Well, not 10 minutes later, out comes a lone hen and makes a straight line for our decoy. She comes all the way in, and then starts to eat in front of us. At that time also, we hear another truck stop on the road and some doors shut, so we know someone else ins joining the party.

So, that hen proceeds to stay within 40 yards or so of us for the next HOUR! It was really cool, my son learned a lot about limiting his movement, patience, and more importantly, it was an hour lesson on calling, because she was clucking and cackling the whole time. I told my son that I wasn't going to call much, because there was nothing better than an actual live decoy out there doing the work. Well, about a half hour into her stay, the other bird starts gobbling again. Only this time, we hear a responding call from where we had set up earlier. I could tell right away it was the hunters that we heard shutting the doors just after shooting time. So, for the next 30 minutes, we traded calls with the hunters and the actual bird in the trees, both trying to draw him out. After the hunt, we met the other hunters, great guys, and they knew we were hunters too. We all laughed about it, was pretty funny.

Anyway, after about 45 minutes of the hen being there, we hear a gobble that the bird is now coming out of the trees. I could tell that he was headed our way, but the other hunters were trying to work him hard. Well, I finally see a couple heads come out, one of them bright red. They're coming our way. But, he's walking pretty fast, and nervously. That'll happen with 3 shots knocking you out of your roost in the dark, and 2 hunters throwing calls at you, one of which (mine) is very bad.... LOL. So, he comes in, but at an angle. He3's looking at the decoy, but I am looking for a beard. I didn't have time, or the cover, to bring up my binos. Bright red head, but no damn beard. Finally, at 38 or so yards, his last couple steps before cover, we see only about an inch of beard sticking out of the feathers. Unfortunately though, my son wasn't aiming in fully, and with the bird's nervousness, he was out of the shooting lane, and we never got a shot.

So, like I said, met the other hunters, also got to meet Matagui (sp?) and his boy. All great people, had fun chatting with them all. My son didn't get anything, but he was excited over what took place after the initial disappointment, what we witnessed for turkey behavior, and what he learned. He's excited to go with me next weekend, even though I've still never killed a turkey...... :(

Now, sorry for this being so long, especially for an unsuccessful hunt, but I was pissed and needed to vent. If it was a poacher, then you suck!!!!! If it wasn't a poacher, but actually someone with a kid, then you suck even more!!!!! Maybe it's just me, but you yourself, or you taught you kid, to shoot a bird before legal time, out of the roost, when there was no way you could see a beard on that thing. Maybe your watch was off, it was only a couple minutes, and the other stuff technically isn't illegal, but quite crappy and a horrible way to teach a kid to hunt. And before anyone thinks it's sour grapes, it's absolutely not. My son and I even laughed and discussed that the other hunters might get that Jake, it was all how the bird decided to react, but we were fine with it, and my son even wanted to go look at the bird if they did shoot. Also, I was hunting on a popular place, right near the road, where the birds are know to be, so it's not like I expected the spot to myself. It's all about how you did it and what you taught your kid if you had one with you. Again, I've NEVER shot a turkey in 10 years of on and off trying, but I would NEVER stoop to doing that. If you're on this board, which I highly doubt, don't come on trying to justify or defend yourself, it'll fall on deaf ears..... The best thing you did Saturday wasn't get a nice gobbler, it was teach my son how not to be......So thanks for that..... ;)

Sorry, done venting.......

Sean,

Thanks for sharing your experience....Maybe this will keep others from doing what is very unethical....Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: Vermonster
The best takeaway was you and your son had fun and shared some quality time. Can't replace that. Nice job Vermonster!

Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.
-Aldo Leopold

Too bad that dude had no idea that someone actually WAS watching. (Well, listening.) Good on you for making it a teachable moment.

I would have been very irritated as well, especially with my kid there. No doubt though that with your teaching your son will grow up to be a valuable part of the hunting community. And that is much appreciated because my boys will someday have to share the woods with these hunters.

At a certain point you have to yell back at those guys otherwise you could get shot and turkey loads are no joke

A car's license number and a cell phone. A conversation with Mr. Greenjeans could help.

At a certain point you have to yell back at those guys otherwise you could get shot and turkey loads are no joke

I did yell at them, twice, letting them know there was a kid over here, and they were a tad bit early. No reply of course.....

And no way to get a license plate or even kind of vehicle, it was far enough away and also still quite dark.

There are some beauties out there.....Saturday, 2 dudes (in a white F-150) were literally standing in the middle of HWY 79 with a shotgun trying to shoot turkeys near Moretti Junction....This was at 11:30 am!....Honked at them as we drove by....They acted like no big deal.

They were seen again near Hwy 76 doing the same thing near Lake Henshaw....WTF!

9 poachers were caught on MCC over the week-end.

Last edited:
Geeeez.. shooting from the middle of the 79? So you shoot a big gobbler doing that.. where's the fun and pride in that "hunt"? To call in and bag a big tom, legally, on public land in SD is hard work, but an accomplishment if you do. Shooting one out of a tree or off the highway is target practice. Reminds me of a few years back when I saw a guy come out of Lake Morena property with a crossbow. Poachers are out there.

all kinds of nuts out there now a days.. hope those two road shooters were also busted

Run those suckers OVER! Poacher should be legal to shoot. There is no explanation for this behavior except for bad behavior. Which means these types of people think like this always. They don't think its wrong These are screwed up human beings No changing the way they think. They have a chip missing from their brain. They are a nuisance to humanity and need to be taught a lesson

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed with everything said here. I used to see a lot of people poaching lobsters in Ocean Beach. Guys would take baby lobsters off the pier at night, all year. No wonder lobster numbers have been down. I can just assume people poach every animal, and during any time of the year. Really sad.

Agreed with everything said here. I used to see a lot of people poaching lobsters in Ocean Beach. Guys would take baby lobsters off the pier at night, all year. No wonder lobster numbers have been down. I can just assume people poach every animal, and during any time of the year. Really sad.
Lobsters amongst other things... I've seen lots of small fish taken there by the bucket brigade.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu